Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Varta E13 battery for VW Golf TDI

Options
  • 17-11-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

I put a new Varta E13 battery in my VW Gold 4 years ago and it is knackered again. She wouldn't start yesterday morning after being sitting for 2 days. I noticed her getting sluggish over the last few weeks. Is this the normal lifetime for a battery, I would have expected it to last longer? I do around 25K miles a year. What is the best model of battery to get for this car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Battery life depends on various factors but 4 years seems ok.

What warranty were you offered when you purchased it?

Usually it would be around 3-5 years

there could be a drain on it when the car is sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I use Yuasa/Bosch Silver batteries, they're excellent and guaranteed for five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Op, have you tried charging it and seeing if it will hold a charge, it could well be that the battery is fine but there is an electrical issue causing undue drain when idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Glenman wrote: »
    I put a new Varta E13 battery in my VW Gold 4 years ago and it is knackered again. She wouldn't start yesterday morning after being sitting for 2 days. I noticed her getting sluggish over the last few weeks. Is this the normal lifetime for a battery, I would have expected it to last longer? I do around 25K miles a year. What is the best model of battery to get for this car?

Varta make good batteries. Four years is probably the minimum amount of time I'd expect to get from one of their batteries but there is a lot of factors that may have contributed to its premature demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks all, there was a 3 year warranty with the battery. The car wouldn't start yesterday morning. I charged it up yesterday and she started yesterday evening and I went for a 20 min drive. This morning she started okay but she was a bit sluggish. How do I test if there is a drain on battery when car is sitting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Hello, I measured the current draw in idle mode. The vehicle initially draws around 600mA for a few seconds and then settles at 25mA so I think there is no electrical issue causing undue drain when idle.

Advertisement