Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amature jockey licence

Options
  • 17-11-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hopefully this is not the wrong place to post this.

I am aware that it is normally accepted that teenagers around 16 start applying and working for their amature jockeys licence. My question is if you work in a racing yard is it possible to complete the tests with the turf club to gain your licence? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think your best bet would be contacting RACE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you take a look at the Turf Club website, www.turfclub.ie, there's info on it regarding how to go about getting an amateur licence. In a nutshell, you have to fill out an application and pay the fee. You then have to attend a 2 day course where you receive lectures and instruction on some aspects of racing before going out and doing a riding test. Depending on whether you want an A1,A2 or A3 licence, you may or may not be required to jump, but you will need to be able to control a horse in company and ride work in company. You'll also have to undergo a fitness and ability test on a simulator. On day 2 you'll have a medical and interview.

You don't have to go through race to get an amateur licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mick1986

thats fantastic info, thanks. Regards Mick

Advertisement