Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Vehicle for Towing

Options
  • 17-11-2014 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

I found a few threads on this topic already but they are all a couple of years old, so looking to get some up to date advice.

Looking for a good vehicle for Towing in the New Year - will be towing a 16hh horse most of the time. But good to have the option to tow a second horse without putting pressure on the car. Will also use the car for driving to work (city driving) but I understand fuel consumption will be higher then!

I'm 25 and this will be my first time towing (will be getting lessons and already have my provisional EB licence to prepare for test), and my budget is Max €10k. Ideally less as it would be great to get the box within that budget or a little over too. Was hoping for 09+ models as the tax and insurance are cheaper, but will take advice on that.

So far I have:
    - Kia Sorrento
    - Nissan Xtrail

And that's it :) any and all advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

I had a kia sorrento and it broke my heart! Engine went twice on it, but i think I just got a cursed vehicle! Apart from that, when it was working I never found the four wheel drive any good, if the ground was in any way bad, I'd end up getting towed out of every hunter trial without fail. I also have a friend who had one and the power just cut out on it when she was towing on the m50.

I just wouldn't trust then in the slightest now. I think they give the 7 year guarantee on them and then they fall apart after that time.

When my kia broke the only jeep i could afford was a 00 isuzu trooper which was really cheap. Was a bit dodgy to drive when i got it, but after one repair to a sensor costing 100 euro, its perfect now and the four wheel drive is 100% on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I started with a Freelander, it was awful, no sure what the Freelander 2 is like but haven't heard great things about them.

I got a Nissan Pathfinder and love it, plenty of power, hardly notice when I have a HB505 with a two horse on board. It is a thristy beast. I got the Pathfinder (2006) for €8000 & the road tax is horrible at €1080/year.

My words of advice, for what it's worth would be get something that has:

- At least 2.5L engine
    - Selectable 2/4 wheel drive, that way you don't have to stay in 4 wheel drive when it's not required, saving fuel and probably tyres.
    - Get the car checked before you buy

Also, remember that not all X-Trails are 4 wheel drive, there are some that are front wheel drive only, which is fine most of the time, but if you're parked in a muddy field you could well want the 4 wheel drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Thanks Dave. I am leaning more towards the Sorento, it's a rare occasion I have heard bad things about them. I have a 'family mechanic' who I will look to source the car for me as he is thorough and honest.

I think I will also suck it up and fork out a bit extra to get a late 09 or 2010 model for the reduced road tax - my pocket will thank me in the long run!

After much analysis of finances and what I can only call 'the Return on Investment' aka how often I'll use the jeep vs what I'll pay for it, I have decided to go down in years and suck up the cost of the tax. I will be able to afford a 05/06 Model Kia Sorento without having to take out a loan.

Can anyone attest to their value in terms of reliability and towing? Happy to post a thread in Motors but want to see if anyone can feed back first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

be careful with that year sorrento (or any older one) they can be a horrible ball of dirt. My mate had an 05 one and every second week it was giving grief - so much so he scrapped it in the end. Local vet here buys a new one every 2 years, well for some, but he said he wouldn't trust them once they go over that age.

I've been using my Xtrail for towing (4 years in March) and it has given me very little grief in that time. Towing 2 ponies but occasionally horses. The newer ones are not without their troubles though.
    Am changing shortly as the mileage is high on mine and have been doing the rounds of the local garages and think i am going to go for either a Santa Fe / XC 90 or a small horse lorry!!

• Advertisement

Thanks CharlieIRL.

Word of warning on the Santa Fe's - they're only really suitable for towing one horse, and the odd time! Couple of friends had real gearbox issues from towing as it's not up to the task!

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Thanks CharlieIRL.

Word of warning on the Santa Fe's - they're only really suitable for towing one horse, and the odd time! Couple of friends had real gearbox issues from towing as it's not up to the task!

really? I know a good few people with them and none of them had any issues the last few years.
    One of the lads i work with - his family use 3 of them for work vehicles and would be towing heavy loads regularly and they never had any problems. It was actually his one i drove that made me think about them.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    really? I know a good few people with them and none of them had any issues the last few years.
    One of the lads i work with - his family use 3 of them for work vehicles and would be towing heavy loads regularly and they never had any problems. It was actually his one i drove that made me think about them.

I just have heard lots of bad things about Santa Fe's for towing horses. Most people say that they wouldnt use them for anything more than one horse, and only for intermittent journeys or the gearbox has issues/falls out :)

I know you have ponies though so it may be ok?

2 ponies for now but thats going to change next year.

Bugger to that, back to the drawing board!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

charlieIRL wrote: »
    be careful with that year sorrento (or any older one) they can be a horrible ball of dirt. My mate had an 05 one and every second week it was giving grief - so much so he scrapped it in the end.

mine was an 06 and gave me nothing but grief..maybe they were bad years for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭fits

Huh? I have an 06 sorento and honestly, I haven't had much trouble at all. The four wheel drive is fine! always got me out when I needed it, even when other 4x4s needed towing. (tyres important too there). i have found it very reliable. I do make sure to service it regularly. 130000 miles on it.
    It hasn't been used much the last two years as i am abroad a lot but commuted daily and towed every weekend before that.

Thanks fits. What was the fuel consumption like?

Its a 4x4, they are all crap. About 30mpg i'd say, less when towing. I was putting 300euro diesel a month into it at least, but that was with daily 55km commute and a lot of towing.

Look for one that's been regularly serviced (not necessarily at thieving main dealers). People are less likely to sell good cars. I wouldn't part with mine at the moment as it has caused no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Apparently you have to be careful with those that you are not overweight. And Fiat wouldnt be the first choice for reliability. Its also another set of tax, insurance, maintenance etc. And they wouldnt get out of a mucky field.
    Id consider it though. you could run a smaller car then if commuting... Just buyer beware.

fits wrote: »
    Its a 4x4, they are all crap. About 30mpg i'd say, less when towing. I was putting 300euro diesel a month into it at least, but that was with daily 55km commute and a lot of towing.

Look for one that's been regularly serviced (not necessarily at thieving main dealers). People are less likely to sell good cars. I wouldn't part with mine at the moment as it has caused no problems.

Thanks. I'll probably go back to getting public transport in the New Year to work if I get the jeep. Hard to know if I'm making the right choice by getting one lower in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Just to let anyone who may have looked at below, its a total scam... enquired via email & got the usual scamish reply... said will only accept paypal as had buyer turn up with fake notes, needs to pay mortgage but doesn't want people coming to see the box & will get it delivered etc...
    gctest50 wrote: »

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

marley123 wrote: »
    Just to let anyone who may have looked at below, its a total scam... enquired via email & got the usual scamish reply... said will only accept paypal as had buyer turn up with fake notes, needs to pay mortgage but doesn't want people coming to see the box & will get it delivered etc...

Did you report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

yes of course!
    convert wrote: »
    Did you report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jeff_Target

Toyota Landcruiser every time - permanent 4x4 - easy on tyres, drinks like a fish and just keeps working. Avoid '08 (5 speed) as there were problems with the head on them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement