Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 1.8F engine stopped while slowing down.

Options
  • 17-11-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

TA couple of weeks ago, after leaving my car parked at the airport for a few days, the engine cut out twice while just about coming to a stop at traffic lights.

The same thing happened again tonight. Below about 10kph, just as I dipped the clutch while the car was coming to a halt, everything went silent and the dash lit up. It seems to happen in the same circumstances each time, so I'm fair sure it's a mechanical problem as opposed to an electrical one.

Clean the throttle body maybe?

The car has a list of DTC's stored for various things, but wont give an actual error code to indicate a what the problem might be.

Any other suggestions?

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The DTCs are the error codes. Which DTCs is it showing? I've encountered that sort of thing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I haven't had that issue with my s40 but I have before had issues with the revs not being high enough on ignition. There was corrective software at one point, which helped, and on occasion I've had the throttle body cleaned as you've suggested.

I'd start with those two (check the software level and the throttle body) and go from there.

A friend had a problem like you've described with 3series BMW at one point, car cutting out at lights or slowing to round corners. He was full of dread bringing it into the garage but it ended up being a sensor of some sort and cheap to fix. I haven't even hobbyist levels of knowledge, nevermind being an expert, but I think it was some kind of airflow sensor or something.

Advertisement