Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a rescue swimmer in Ireland or England..

Options
  • 16-11-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm 17 currently doing a pool lifeguard course and supposedly I'm quite good, I'm the youngest and the smallest (5'8 against 6'6 lads) and the rest of the class are all gym instructors redoing their course with a hotel.
    The instructor pulled me aside as was asking if I have any idea what area I want to go into, and I was thinking 'probably paramedic, physio or something in the defence forces'

He then suggested I consider coastguard or more specifically rescue swimmer.
    I looked up about it and it's really pulling my attention.

Also my mothers English so (and I've checked) I can get a dual passport..

So how exactly would I go about becoming a rescue swimmer?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

No rescue swimmers in Ireland or the UK.

Its an American thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

No rescue swimmers in Ireland or the UK.

Its an American thing.

Really? I was talking to this lad about it and obviously he's talking out his arse..

What about Canada? I wouldn't mind moving their in a few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I recommend you watch "The Guardian" its a bit cheesy but you get an insight into the whole rescue swimming business.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

mikeym wrote: »
    I recommend you watch "The Guardian" its a bit cheesy but you get an insight into the whole rescue swimming business.

I actually seen that movie way back, I just went into the cinema with some friends and picked whatever film was on and I was glued to the scene the full way through, even if it is fairly cheesy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I'm 17 currently doing a pool lifeguard course and supposedly I'm quite good, I'm the youngest and the smallest (5'8 against 6'6 lads) and the rest of the class are all gym instructors redoing their course with a hotel.
    The instructor pulled me aside as was asking if I have any idea what area I want to go into, and I was thinking 'probably paramedic, physio or something in the defence forces'

He then suggested I consider coastguard or more specifically rescue swimmer.
    I looked up about it and it's really pulling my attention.

Also my mothers English so (and I've checked) I can get a dual passport..

So how exactly would I go about becoming a rescue swimmer?

The only real difference is the americans got into the water unattached....The yanks arnt a fan of using the strop to resuce people, they tend to use a basket. Which is actually quite hard to get into in bad sea conditions thus the "swimmer" has to be unattached to get people into the basket

The yanks also prefer to go unattached because A) it prevents the shock effect and B) they have a history of having to rescue people from downed aircraft.

And while crusader pointed out that it is an "an american thing" he is once again wrong Canada, denmark and other countries have "rescue swimmers"

• Advertisement

Theres a handful of rescue swimmers in Denmark and Canada, which are part of their Navies, same with the UK(used on carriers for the potential rescue of downed pilots), they also have other roles, ie as divers.

Theres a division of rescue swimmers in the US, with only that role. its an American thing brainiac.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Theres a handful of rescue swimmers in Denmark and Canada, which are part of their Navies, same with the UK(used on carriers for the potential rescue of downed pilots), they also have other roles, ie as divers.

Theres a division of rescue swimmers in the US, with only that role. its an American thing brainiac.

Rescue swimmers are rescue swimmers. ie not just an amercian thing.

But believe whatever makes you feel vindicated.

twinytwo wrote: »

Only in the USA, in the UK, Denmark....they are divers first, read the link on the first page.

Denmark " These swimmers are generally recruited from the diver-corps (which has a 6–10 weeks diving course from the Danish Navy Diving School) and receive basic helicopter crash survival training."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

twinytwo wrote: »

The Germans also have rescue swimmers.

OP - I'm not sure how you might manage it but the "Deutsches Rettungsschwimmabzeichen" (German Rescue Swimmer Badge) is awarded by the German Red Cross. If there was some way you could do it (or an equivalent) to the gold standard it would be a good string to have to your bow if you are contemplating a career in that direction.

The Polizei, the Bundeswehr, civilian rescue personnel can qualify for it and wear the appropriate badge to signify their achievement.

The Italians also use rescue swimmers.

I was talking to both German and Italian qualified rescue swimmers in the UK last year because both countries also use water rescue dogs (Newfs) and they were demonstrating at a Newf trial I was participating in with my dog - they weren't allowed 'compete' because their dogs are just too well trained!!

Anyway, if you want more info, you could do worse than start here

EUROPEAN RESCUE SWIMMERS ASSOCIATION

ICG are listed among the membership - so I think @twinytwo is right, rescue swimming is more than an American thing.

Again, good luck.

Advertisement