Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New role/promotion same salary

Options
  • 16-11-2014 9:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking for some advice here and hopefully some people can help.

I have been offered a new role in my company. It is a quiet a change. Its a move into the investment side of the firm. Reporting into new people and higher responsibilities. Its a move from back office to front office.

All is great but.... they have informed me that my salary will stay the same and will be reviewed in June next year (when bonus time is and when salaries are reviewed every year).

As this is a totally new rule with a lot more responsibility I feel this is unfair. I should certainly be getting a nice bit more money in this new role.

I really want this new role but I feel I am being unfairly treated.

I want to ask if I can be given an idea on what my new salary will be come June and what I should be expecting.
    Surely I can be given a idea of what I should be expecting come June?

Is this common practice?

What advice do people have?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Over last number of years, while working for corporations (different sector though) I noticed that people who got promoted were on same wages for a period of time until they proven to be 100% suitable for position i.e. on paper they were on old position with old salary. After 6 months to a year they were officially on a different pay/role.

Consider period between now and review as an investment into your career that that company needs to pay for (training).

Also, I noticed that in general, if you need substantial increase of wages you need to look into working for competition unfortunately. Multinationals (in my experience) aren't keen on increasing wages of employees that are already with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

You should only be getting more money in the new role if you're good at it.

In the first 6 months, you're not going to be all that useful to them, and having come from a back office environment they're taking a chance at allowing you to develop your career as opposed to hiring someone external with front office experience.

Most companies worth their salt will want to move you onto better pay if you're working out in the role anyway, cause otherwise they'd lose lots of staff every year to competitors.

I'd say nothing for now, put the head down and start working hard.
    If you can impress in the first few months, bring the topic up in march/april next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Take the new Job, even if its the same money as it is much easier to take a sidewards step into a better paying role elsewhere if you already have the equivalent job title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

It's pretty much par for the course in a lot of work places, i.e. prove yourself in the new role with the possibility of a bump up at during your next review.

Asking what type of pay grade you can expect if successful at review sounds like a completely reasonable request.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It all comes down to whether or not you can get this job and the higher salary in the open market.
    if so tell them what you require and if they fail to meet your request go elsewhere.
    if not take the job and the experience and wait until June to see what they offer.
    At that point you should be capable of going to the market.

It is worth remembering that your pay is linked to Supply and demand more so than effort required ,responsibility etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement