Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What powers do PSNI have on Southern Reg Cars?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I'm up North for a few weeks and driving my southern Reg car. Earlier today I got pulled over by the PSNI in an unmarked car.

The reason was we were at a set of lights and they were green, he was turning right but also in some of the left lane so I couldn't get through to move. I beeped him to push over (gave a dirty look) and drove on. Next thing I see blue lights flashing me so I pull over.

To be fair they were sound enough. They asked why I beeped them and explained that they were taking up my lane and I couldnt move. That when I did beep they moved and I could get through. They took my license, asked a few questions but then asked was I known to the police in the North or South. I'm not but they said they have to contact the Gardai to confirm. After a couple of minutes they just said the horn isn't intended to be used like that and be more wary of other drivers in the future.

It got me wondering though, what are their powers for southern drivers eg speeding or other traffic violations?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Don't underestimate their power. They can take the car if you if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That kind of crap by gardai or police makes me sick. You beeped, they moved, they knew the reason yet decided to pull you over on a bit of a power trip.
    That said, if I was driving an irish plate up north, I wouldnt be beeping at anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

their powers apply to all drivers wherever they are from. They can detain you, for instance, to ascertain your identity .

The horn is there only to warn people of your approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

ulinbac wrote: »
    I'm up North for a few weeks and driving my southern Reg car. Earlier today I got pulled over by the PSNI in an unmarked car.

The reason was we were at a set of lights and they were green, he was turning right but also in some of the left lane so I couldn't get through to move. I beeped him to push over (gave a dirty look) and drove on. Next thing I see blue lights flashing me so I pull over.

To be fair they were sound enough. They asked why I beeped them and explained that they were taking up my lane and I couldnt move. That when I did beep they moved and I could get through. They took my license, asked a few questions but then asked was I known to the police in the North or South. I'm not but they said they have to contact the Gardai to confirm. After a couple of minutes they just said the horn isn't intended to be used like that and be more wary of other drivers in the future.

It got me wondering though, what are their powers for southern drivers eg speeding or other traffic violations?

Thanks in advance

they are armed police and can enforce the law no matter what part of Ireland your from.
    You might get away with parking fines and small infringements but anything even remotely more serious they will just arrest you so you don't flee their jurisdiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

mickdw wrote: »
    That kind of crap by gardai or police makes me sick. You beeped, they moved, they knew the reason yet decided to pull you over on a bit of a power trip. That said, if I was driving an irish plate up north, I wouldnt be beeping at anyone.

It also depends on how you use the horn though. A slight little "bip" is usually recognised as a polite reminder to someone that you're there and you want to get through. Giving someone a right blast of the horn (& a dirty look) is a different thing entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Jesus. wrote: »
    It also depends on how you use the horn though. A slight little "bip" is usually recognised as a polite reminder to someone that you're there and you want to get through. Giving someone a right blast of the horn (& a dirty look) is a different thing entirely.

To be fair it wasn't a blast just a short beep but I'd say the dirty look might have clinched it..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

A couple of years ago my brother was stopped by the psni in his southern reg honda civic,his car was fully taxed,insured and nct'd at the time,with everything ok on the window they still made him bring his car to an MOT centre for an MOT!!! it passed thankfully but i remember at the time been shocked that they could do this

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They have "police powers" over any car in NI, doesn't matter where it's from.
    Probably got angry when a free-stater beeped at them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

They have plenty of powers but no real powers to follow up. Give them the impression that you're a regular visitor and would be keen to settle any legal issues properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

mickdw wrote: »
    That kind of crap by gardai or police makes me sick. You beeped, they moved, they knew the reason yet decided to pull you over on a bit of a power trip.
    That said, if I was driving an irish plate up north, I wouldnt be beeping at anyone.

there's always one.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

To be fair it wasn't a blast just a short beep but I'd say the dirty look might have clinched it..

You gave them an excuse; it's one of the basic rules in the UK. If you are asked why you beeped a horn or flashed the lights you either elect to give a "no comment" response or "I was alerting another road user of my presence on the road". The latter is the only legitimate reason to use the horn. They probably couldn't be bothered charging you but with the response you gave, they would have been able to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

My dad was involved in an accident on the A1 in banbridge a few years ago, he was heading south when a van crossed in front of him with out looking, to cut a long story short, the van was destroyed, dads car was damaged but driveable, but thankfully everybody involved walked away without a scratch.

When the police arrived dad was formally arrested and taken to Banbridge police station. relatively quickly, (couple of hours) accident investigator's, and witnesses accounts concluded that the van driver was at fault, he was also brought to the station where he admitted liability, dad was then released, and heard no more after that.

Through out the whole incident, he said he was treated firmly but very fairly, but he said that after that when ever he was north of the border he took it very easy, as these guys don't mess around.

Ever since then, any time I'm up north I stick to the limit and have come across a lot more PSNI speed traps on the A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

you are extremely brave or incredibly naive ....what do you think would have happened if the car contained loyalist/UDA/similar gang/ ...... lets just say a hospital visit would be on the cards for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

a horn cannot be used like you used it they could issue you a ticket

A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.

A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at anytime, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road

you need to follow all the rules of the country your in

you will find irish law very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Volvoair wrote: »
    you are extremely brave or incredibly naive ....what do you think would have happened if the car contained loyalist/UDA/similar gang/ ...... lets just say a hospital visit would be on the cards for you.

Yeah and he should talk with a faux nordy accent, and stick a yellow reg on the back of the car.

Ok this reply is nonsense. I'm in newry and have spent a over a year and a half hear on and off over the last few years and never heard of anything like this happen from something so minor. Times have changed for the most part up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

there's always one, as you said yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Thanks in advance

To be fair, blowing your horn going through the North with a Southern Reg is just asking for attention be it from police or locals. It demonstrates a complete lack of cop on. Id hate to see what would have happened if it was a loyalist area you were driving through. You got what was coming to you now let that be a lesson learnt.

Miall108 wrote: »
    To be fair, blowing your horn going through the North with a Southern Reg is just asking for attention be it from police or locals. It demonstrates a complete lack of cop on. Id hate to see what would have happened if it was a loyalist area you were driving through. You got what was coming to you now let that be a lesson learnt.

There is a difference between blowing and beeping a horn. It's not like I was constantly blaring the horn down the street.

I have since talked to the lads I live with, one from here and the other from a "loyalist" area and both said the police officers were probably bored and nothing else to do.

Also, I have found the locals on both sides, as has my brother who has lived in Belfast for 5 years to be sound enough in general. I have collected my housemate who is from a loyalist area near Belfast for a night out before in my Southern Reg and nothing has ever happened. Shock horror!

Everyone just wants to move on up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

There is a difference between blowing and beeping a horn. It's not like I was constantly blaring the horn down the street.

I have since talked to the lads I live with, one from here and the other from a "loyalist" area and both said the police officers were probably bored and nothing else to do.

Also, I have found the locals on both sides, as has my brother who has lived in Belfast for 5 years to be sound enough in general. I have collected my housemate who is from a loyalist area near Belfast for a night out before in my Southern Reg and nothing has ever happened. Shock horror!

Everyone just wants to move on up here.

I wish it were everyone, the majority want to move on.

But you get that hardcore stick in he mud every so often..... Why can't they go away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Beaner1 wrote: »
    They have plenty of powers but no real powers to follow up. Give them the impression that you're a regular visitor and would be keen to settle any legal issues properly.

They have the power to arrest you for traffic offences, since they can't give you a fixed penalty notice, and if there is no court open they will hold you over night unless you can provide them with a valid UK address which you can't as then they could have given you a fixed penalty notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Del2005 wrote: »
    They have the power to arrest you for traffic offences, since they can't give you a fixed penalty notice, and if there is no court open they will hold you over night unless you can provide them with a valid UK address which you can't as then they could have given you a fixed penalty notice.

In most countries I know they would ask you to pay the fine on the spot.

Locking someone up for a traffic offence sound unreasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

wonski wrote: »
    In most countries I know they would ask you to pay the fine on the spot.

Locking someone up for a traffic offence sound unreasonable to me.

They don't have the power in NI to issue on the spot fines so non UK resident motorists have to be brought before a court. If you commit and offence when court isn't sitting what else can they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Del2005 wrote: »
    They don't have the power in NI to issue on the spot fines so non UK resident motorists have to be brought before a court. If you commit and offence when court isn't sitting what else can they do.

Allow the PSNI to collect fines from non-residents maybe?
    Simplier than dragging people to the court over a 60 pounds fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What nonsense. Do you really think there are squads of terrorists cruising around town looking for trouble? The level of ignorance people display about Northern Ireland really is quite staggering at times.

Advertisement