Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house question

Options
  • 16-11-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Could someone please answer this a friend is renting a room in er friends council house however she wants to give her up house will will my friend be kicked out or can she still live there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

No I dont think so. Especially if the council didnt know she renting out a room behind their back.
    Then she cannot stay.
    Does the council know she was renting a room to this friend?
    I'm sure this is not allowed as this is between the council and the council tenant.
    Is this friend on the housing list?
    it seem that there a room spare that she doesnt need maybe she better off to downsize her accommodation.
    Why would she give up house could she ask for tramsfer if not happy with area or house swap with another council tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ncj wrote: »
    Could someone please answer this a friend is renting a room in er friends council house however she wants to give her up house will will my friend be kicked out or can she still live there

If the main council tenant gives up the house ie the person who was actually housed then yes your friend is out .
    She cannot claim rights to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ncj

No I dont think so. Especially if the council didnt know she renting out a room behind their back.
    Then she cannot stay.
    Does the council know she was renting a room to this friend?
    I'm sure this is not allowed as this is between the council and the council tenant.
    Is this friend on the housing list?
    it seem that there a room spare that she doesnt need maybe she better off to downsize her accommodation.
    Why would she give up house could she ask for tramsfer if not happy with area or house swap with another council tenant.

Yea she's on her rent and the council have agreed to let her she had get permission before hand she's givin up as she's moving in with her partner so looks like the other girl on the rent be getting kicked out?

And she's being living in the house for over 3 years with her child paying rent but it doesn't give her any rights?

Ncj wrote: »
    And she's being living in the house for over 3 years with her child paying rent but it doesn't give her any rights?

No it doesn't give her any rights to the house .
    Once the original tenant moves out your friend will be given notice to quit by a certain date .The property will be assessed and depending on its condition it will be offered to the next family on the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Your friend best get on to the council to confirm her situation.
    it would be unfair to others who could been waiting longer or have bigger family than herself if house is 3 beds or more.
    She really need to find out herself direct with the housing section in that area and be prepared when it come to the departure date when the original tenant move out.

Your friend best get on to the council to confirm her situation.
    it would be unfair to others who could been waiting longer or have bigger family than herself if house is 3 beds or more.
    She really need to find out herself direct with the housing section in that area and be prepared when it come to the departure date when the original tenant move out.

She's entitled to the 3 bed as she has 2 boys and a girl however her friend was more or less homeless with the baby so the main tenant shares room with her daughter and her friend is in another with the baby and then the two boys in another but I've got the answer she needs start looking for somewhere so as the main tenant has already told council just waitin on them to get back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If your friend has been paying rent or part of to the council and has been on the books as living there they might have a case.

mp22 wrote: »
    If your friend has been paying rent or part of to the council and has been on the books as living there they might have a case.

Really thanks il let her no she was paying rent and she had to get permission to live there before she went on the rent and they agreed thanks was just seeing was anyone in the same situation or had been

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I was in pretty much the same situation, I moved out of home and in with my aunt to be company for her and help look after her as she was ill. Unfortunately I was never put on the rent book as she got really ill then, this was years ago. My aunt died and I went in to let them know in the council with my grandmother (I was only 21, didn't know the ropes or where to go but she did) and we told them that she'd died but I was still living there, they said I wasn't on the rent book but that they were willing to leave me there as long as I paid the back-rent owed by me for the time lived there.

I would advise your friend to go into the council immediately, before her friend gives back the keys etc as that will be too late. She can go in, tell them that her co-renter is moving out but that she and her child will be staying on in the property and ask them to let her know how that works etc and ask can they adjust the rent accordingly or if it even needs to change. Tell her to tell them too that she has nowhere to go. She has a very good chance of being let stay there, she has equal rights in the house/apartment as she pays half the rent so is fully within her right to stay there.

• Advertisement

donna35 wrote: »
    I was in pretty much the same situation, I moved out of home and in with my aunt to be company for her and help look after her as she was ill. Unfortunately I was never put on the rent book as she got really ill then, this was years ago. My aunt died and I went in to let them know in the council with my grandmother (I was only 21, didn't know the ropes or where to go but she did) and we told them that she'd died but I was still living there, they said I wasn't on the rent book but that they were willing to leave me there as long as I paid the back-rent owed by me for the time lived there.

I would advise your friend to go into the council immediately, before her friend gives back the keys etc as that will be too late. She can go in, tell them that her co-renter is moving out but that she and her child will be staying on in the property and ask them to let her know how that works etc and ask can they adjust the rent accordingly or if it even needs to change. Tell her to tell them too that she has nowhere to go. She has a very good chance of being let stay there, she has equal rights in the house/apartment as she pays half the rent so is fully within her right to stay there.

Ah thanks million for that are u in the dublin area cause I know dublins county council housing list is long but I was thinking the same surely because she's being on the rent and that they can't just kick her out the house might just be too big for her as it's a 3 bed but maybe if she could find a transfer with someone with a two bed thanks

Did your friend sign a lease agreement ,
    Most councils brought in lease agreements for people moving in with friends and family stating you can't have a legal claim to the house if the original tenant passes away or other .
    She's needs to find any paperwork she has from the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Gatling wrote: »
    Did your friend sign a lease agreement ,
    Most councils brought in lease agreements for people moving in with friends and family stating you can't have a legal claim to the house if the original tenant passes away or other .
    She's needs to find any paperwork she has from the council

The same with carers,I saw a letter on boards which stated that you can live in the house rent free while caring for a relation but you will have zero claim on the house.

Advertisement