Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT renewal date

Options
  • 16-11-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I understand the rules have changed regarding this.I used always try an nct my cars 3 months early so as to get the 15 month nct out of it.

Car in question nct expires 31st Jan 2015, is the best time to nct this car in January 2015 because the 15 month nct is a thing of the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

15 month nct is not a thing of the past.

You can still NCT your car up to 3 months early and receive and nct cert 1 year from when it is due (Jan 15 in your case)

Althought, if you keep nct'ing your cars 3 months early consecutively, its not really "15 months" is it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

gambithh wrote: »
    I understand the rules have changed regarding this.I used always try an nct my cars 3 months early so as to get the 15 month nct out of it.
    Heh if you always do it 3 month early, then effectively, you only get 12 months anyway, as you loose out last 3 month of your disc by doing next NCT 3 months early again :D
    Car in question nct expires 31st Jan 2015, is the best time to nct this car in January 2015 because the 15 month nct is a thing of the past?

Anytime now.
    Nothing really changed in regards this, and you can still do your test 3 months early.
    So if your NCT is done after 1st November, then you will get a cert/disc valid until 31st January 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

Ha,ha thanks guys question answered,i should have mentioned ill be putting car up for sale as soon as its nctd.
    My next problem is the earliest appoint I can get in either ennis or limerick Nct center is Feburary 2015!!Crazy system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sorry to hijack this a tad but I was going to start a thread earlier but didn't... anyways...

What's the story with NCT dates. There are none online until Feb '15 and mine is due in Jan. Is it just a case of risking it until I can get it booked in or will you get an earlier date if you ring.

At least it's a free appointment if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

If you phone them they will give you an nct appointment within 30 days,if you cant make this random appointment then they do not have to give you the free nct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Same problem here, nct out middle of January. Started looking for dates back in October and nothing available until February! Rang last week for an appointment and haven't heard anything since regarding a date!
    Absolutely awful system so it is...

If you phone them they will give you an nct appointment within 30 days,if you cant make this random appointment then they do not have to give you the free nct.

Luckily I'm a kept layabout so I'll make the time :D

Thanks Gambithh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Where are you people located?

My Nct is due end of Jan and managed to book online for Dec 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Just ring them and request (very important to use exact word "request") an appointment within 28 days.
    They will put you on priority list and most likely after few days you will receive an appointment within that 28 days of your phone call.
    Otherwise, if they don't, they would have to give test for free, which is definitely not what they want to do. So that's why most likely you will get appointment soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Nearly there....it's 28 days. And you can refuse the first two dates offered, but if you refuse the third date then you will have given up the right to a free test.

.....still waiting for somebody to come on here with proper proof of receiving a free test due to the 28 day clause in their contract. In other words, NCTS can manage to find a date if they have to.

• Advertisement

ION08 wrote: »
    Where are you people located?

My Nct is due end of Jan and managed to book online for Dec 12!

Smack bang in the centre of Dublin. I checked every single centre, nowt til Feb late Jan in any of them. I suspect there are appointments they've just taken them off line to stop people getting them before they need them.

I was quite willing to drive to Naas or even Mullingar but I even checked Westport and alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Fonthill in Dublin had January dates, I booked mine earlier today online.

Fonthill in Dublin had January dates, I booked mine earlier today online.

Actually had no idea that was Dublin, but you're right. 29th/30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

just phone them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Check after half eleven at night their systems update then and cancellations show up

Actually had no idea that was Dublin, but you're right. 29th/30th.
    If you make a booking you can always phone to get it brought forward if a spot comes up. Mine isn't due until April but I thought better in the system than out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

unfortunately RSA mess becomes motorist problem. It's going to make it more difficult to enforce the law when there is a valid reason you can't get tested in time and applying 3 months in advance isn't the solution.

If you make a booking you can always phone to get it brought forward if a spot comes up. Mine isn't due until April but I thought better in the system than out.

That's part of what's causing the issue :P

That said that could be an issue for me as if you accept another date they don't have to give you a free appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they never have given a free apoointment I would wager

That's part of what's causing the issue :P

That said that could be an issue for me as if you accept another date they don't have to give you a free appointment.

Agreed, but this suggestion was by way of getting you sorted so you at least have a date around the time yours is due. I booked mine after reading an article in the paper about fines and I had such a problem last year. My NCT was out 5 days when I got a test at very short notice. Luckily I live close to the centre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement