Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

looking to buy, advice needed

Options
  • 16-11-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi, looking to buy a car. i live in dublin city so dont need it mon to fri but weekend i need it to go limerick every few weeks or so

i see a lot of cars dont have tax or nct. ive been out of the country for a few years.
    i was reading the article about the nct law coming in on december which is disgraceful but thats another argument

if i were to buy a car without tax or nct, i can get it taxed straight away but do i have to pay back tax if the previous owner hadnt it taxed from say the start of the year?

also, with the nct backlogs can i get tax and insurance whilst waiting to get it nct'd ?

thanks in advance
    niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

be wary of buying second hand cars as garage next door took in a bmw and do a service on second hand bought ones,on removal of oil fiter was a paper element and stuffed silly with crud absolutely solid,would say engine is gone as well as turbo ouch
    one owner who does not care about servicing,how many others?
    buying a run around locally is ok but long trips that car is not used to do could kill it.
    is it worth buying a car for weekend use only?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

Once a car transfers owner the back tax goes away so will only have to pay from when you buy the car. Shouldn't be a problem insuring or taxing the car without NCT but it still won't be road legal so I suppose you're taking a bit of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

Brasso wrote: »
    Once a car transfers owner the back tax goes away so will only have to pay from when you buy the car. Shouldn't be a problem insuring or taxing the car without NCT but it still won't be road legal so I suppose you're taking a bit of a risk.

companies like axa and liberty wont insure unless car has nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

ok first things first, if you buy are car with no tax no matter how long it has not been taxed for it is not your problem as you are the new owner the tax starts from the day you buy the car, so put it into your name as soon as possible. Second, do not buy a car with no NCT the country is full of cars with no nct all being advertised that they need very little for the nct. total lies, the nct test now is very tough lots of cars are failing them left right and centre, a car with no nct could cost you thousands to repair. Buy a car that already has been tested. simple

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

ljpg wrote: »
    companies like axa and liberty wont insure unless car has nct.

Fair enough they don't have to insure anyone they don't want to. However there could be a legitimate situation where someone has a car with no NCT sitting in their drive and they just want the theft and fire coverage from insurance while they wait for an NCT. If they got the car taken to the NCT centre on trailer I don't think they'd be breaking any laws, but these companies still wouldn't insure them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

Hi,
    If you are going to use a car at infrequently at weekends say 20 weekends a year, then you got ask yourself how much do you want to pay? Tax at €300 plus insurance maybe €1,000 or so depending on age, insurance history etc would you consider doing car hire for the times you need it?
    If you are going to buy a car I would recommend a SIMI dealer, if the cheap old car goes badly wrong, which there is a chance it will, at least you have some hope of a comeback as they must sell you a roadworthy vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NiallC33

cheers for the advice guys, all answers very helpful
    im 34 with a clean licence and the 5 years no claims so insurance shouldnt be too much
    im bussing it at the moment but i hate not having the freedom having a car affords you
    was on donedeal there and there are a nice few runarounds with nct

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

swanvill wrote: »
    Hi,
    If you are going to use a car at infrequently at weekends say 20 weekends a year, then you got ask yourself how much do you want to pay? Tax at €300 plus insurance maybe €1,000 or so depending on age, insurance history etc would you consider doing car hire for the times you need it?
    If you are going to buy a car I would recommend a SIMI dealer, if the cheap old car goes badly wrong, which there is a chance it will, at least you have some hope of a comeback as they must sell you a roadworthy vehicle.

I think people really need to stop believing nonsense S.I.M.I. adverts they seen or hear on the television or radio. The S.I.M.I. are a country club of member dealers who lobby the various powers that be for their own concerns. Being a member of the S.I.M.I. offers no extra benefit to a consumer. There are as many dodgy garages out there with the S.I.M.I. sign hanging over their door as there are decent non S.I.M.I. garages. Being a member of the S.I.M.I. has no bearing on whether they are a decent garage or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

Instead of saying SIMI dealer I meant a garage or trader who you know have been around for a few years, so you have a fixed place of business to go back to if things go wrong. If you buy off a private seller you have no recourse. A car dealer is liable if they sell an unroadworthy car & you can go to the small claims courts.

Advertisement