Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loading Ubuntu help

Options
  • 16-11-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

hi

I have a blank Dell and wanted to load Ubuntu on it, this computer is completely blank when i boot it up it states

No boot Device available -
    strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
    Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics

I downloaded the ubuntu file and put it on a USB stick, when I reboot the computer and press F12 i got a list of options

Boot Device Menu

*Onboard or USB floppy Drive
    *Onboard Sata Hard Drive
    *Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
    *USB Device

*System Setup
    *Diagnostics
    *Intel (r) Management Engine BIOS Extenstion (MEBx)

anyone got any sugestions on how to load this up? would it make a difference if I burn the downloaded file to a DVR and try to load it this way?

Help help would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

pg141 wrote: »
    hi

I have a blank Dell and wanted to load Ubuntu on it, this computer is completely blank when i boot it up it states

No boot Device available -
    strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
    Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics

I downloaded the ubuntu file and put it on a USB stick, when I reboot the computer and press F12 i got a list of options

Boot Device Menu

*Onboard or USB floppy Drive
    *Onboard Sata Hard Drive
    *Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
    *USB Device

*System Setup
    *Diagnostics
    *Intel (r) Management Engine BIOS Extenstion (MEBx)

anyone got any sugestions on how to load this up? would it make a difference if I burn the downloaded file to a DVR and try to load it this way?

Help help would be great

Thanks

Is the USB bootable? Simply sending the file over to the USB won't do this www.pendrivelinux.com/
    Has a program to do this, its pretty self explanatory

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pg141

Is the USB bootable? Simply sending the file over to the USB won't do this
    Has a program to do this, its pretty self explanatory

Yeah u might be right i say it in the boot device menu and assumed i could boot from it.

any suggestions how i can boot this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

pg141 wrote: »
    Yeah u might be right i say it in the boot device menu and assumed i could boot from it.

any suggestions how i can boot this up?

Run the program I linked to and select your ISO, install it and all, then plug the USB into your blank PC, select the boot screen and then boot from USB

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pg141

yeah this worked a treat... i couldn't use the program u linked so i used Linux Live USB creator.... it worked a treat!!

Typing this from the ubuntu OS, it's quite good!!

Thanks for your help DS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If you enjoy Ubuntu, maybe try out Linux Mint, which is very similar interface-wise to Windows. Lots of options when it comes to Linux. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement