Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New VW Caddy or new Transit Connect

Options
  • 16-11-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Im in the market for a new 151 van but cant make up my mind as to whether spend the few quid extra for the Caddy or go for the Connect.

The Connect looks better and has more extras as standard where as the Caddy offers great resale value if i was selling it after a few years.

They both have a 1.6 diesel engine (cant afford the 2.0L VW engine) offering 104bhp in the Caddy and 95bhp in the Connect.

So im looking for someone with any experience of having driven or worked on either van to try help make up my mind.

Anyone with any good points or bad points.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Packrat

Neither tbh. Berlingo is about 200% better than either of them.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Connect all the way.

French vans are cheap and that's about the best thing to say about them.

If you don't need all the space then look at the courier as well. Cracking little thing to drive and the 1.5 is actually better to spin around in than the bigger engined model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I'd go with a Kangoo. We've a big fleet of Caddy, Connect, and Kangoo. Main problems with the Caddy are egr coolers, window switches and door hinges. The Connect just falls apart (older model), the new model is heavy on pads. Very little issues with the Kangoo and the drivers seem to prefer them.

Not sure about the modern connect but the old one was the worst pile of crap I ever had the misfortune of driving.

The connect was incredibly noisy, and the stereo was absolute rubbish and the seats were horrible.

The Caddy was miles better to live with.

I had problems with Caddys. Wheel bearing went in the 05 and flywheel after 15,000 kms. Maybe reliability is better these days.

I would say Citroen or Fiat vans are good, certainly the Fiat Doblo is a very good reliable van. I ahven't heard of many problems with them.

People shouldn't write off Fiat or Citroen given the reliability issues with Some German vehicles these days. I'd even give the Renault vans a go if they were decent enough to drive and live with.

Unless the Connect had greatly improved I would avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd probably go French too, have seen a good few newer Partners and Berlingos and they seem to be a big improvement on the older models in terms of reliability. Haven't had anything to do with newer Kangoos but considering the improvements in other Renault models they should be decent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

You probably know VW are offering 0% loan deals on all commercials this and re sale value would swing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

R.O.R wrote: »
    Connect all the way.

French vans are cheap and that's about the best thing to say about them.

If you don't need all the space then look at the courier as well. Cracking little thing to drive and the 1.5 is actually better to spin around in than the bigger engined model.

Is the courier based on the fiesta? Is the connect still the same model as years ago (like the ford fusion?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Not sure about the modern connect but the old one was the worst pile of crap I ever had the misfortune of driving.

The connect was incredibly noisy, and the stereo was absolute rubbish and the seats were horrible.

The Caddy was miles better to live with.

I had problems with Caddys. Wheel bearing went in the 05 and flywheel after 15,000 kms. Maybe reliability is better these days.

I would say Citroen or Fiat vans are good, certainly the Fiat Doblo is a very good reliable van. I ahven't heard of many problems with them.

People shouldn't write off Fiat or Citroen given the reliability issues with Some German vehicles these days. I'd even give the Renault vans a go if they were decent enough to drive and live with.

Unless the Connect had greatly improved I would avoid.

The Connect was great, it was much firmer than the Caddy, the suspension was actually built for the job of carrying stuff, unlike the squishy stuff in the Caddy, which would go to it's knees at any sign of a load.
    Actually liked the (driver) seat a lot, firm and upright, I spent hours in it.
    The passenger seat is indeed not great, but it can be folded all the way forward, mine fitted a king size mattress. I was a tiny bit squashed, but it did fit. :D
    The stereo itself wasn't horrible, but the speakers where. I did swap them out for something better, nothing that a trip to Halfrauds couldn't sort out.
    Mind you, this was 2009. Back then the Connect was for people who where serious about hauling stuff (I think it could take 900kg) and the Caddy was for people who liked toys in their van but didn't have anything too heavy.
    Not sure how the current models are, but had to jump in and defend the Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

95bhb in the Connect van is a bit low,with a full load on,she will strain a bit .

The Connect was great, it was much firmer than the Caddy, the suspension was actually built for the job of carrying stuff, unlike the squishy stuff in the Caddy, which would go to it's knees at any sign of a load.
    Actually liked the (driver) seat a lot, firm and upright, I spent hours in it.
    The passenger seat is indeed not great, but it can be folded all the way forward, mine fitted a king size mattress. I was a tiny bit squashed, but it did fit. :D
    The stereo itself wasn't horrible, but the speakers where. I did swap them out for something better, nothing that a trip to Halfrauds couldn't sort out.
    Mind you, this was 2009. Back then the Connect was for people who where serious about hauling stuff (I think it could take 900kg) and the Caddy was for people who liked toys in their van but didn't have anything too heavy.
    Not sure how the current models are, but had to jump in and defend the Connect.

Suspension in the connect was better and the engine smoother, but it was a fair bit heavier on diesel.

But other than that it was horribly noisy and uncomfortable. I didn't have a full bulkhead which wouldn't have helped but I don;t know if it were available then.

I think if I had changed the speakers I would have just ended up deaf, having to turn it up so loud to hear it over the noise in the van itself ! :D

The DSG Caddy, there was no comparison,

Maybe the connect is much better today. I would have to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the courier based on the fiesta? Is the connect still the same model as years ago (like the ford fusion?)

Courier is a totally new van, that's built from the ground up as a van. As far as I'm aware, it shares nothing (except engines) with the passenger car range.

New Connect is totally new. Loses a bit of space in the load area over the old model, due to the design of the bulkhead, but because the bulkhead is designed to allow a lot of seat adjustment, it's a lot more comfortable to drive than most vans that have a straight bulkhead.

We've had all sorts of small vans through here this year, and the Connect is the nicest in my opinion. Not going to worth as much as a Caddy after a few years, but as it's cheaper to begin with, the monthly costs are pretty much on par, but servicing/maintenance and fuel consumption would be cheaper on the Ford than the VW.

Just did a bit if looking up there, its (courier) built alongside the B-max and is on the same "platform" (for all that really means anymore) as the Fiesta, EcoSport and B-max

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Volvoair wrote: »
    95bhb in the Connect van is a bit low,with a full load on,she will strain a bit .

Ha you think thats bad try 1.9 na in a berlingo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think I remember once driving an opel combo with something like a 1.7 diesel and no turbo in sight. Awful, awful yoke.

I like the new log in page on Boards !!!

I wouldn't go with anything under 110 hp in a van, especially if you're loading it up or carry ladders. There is nothing more frustrating than having too little power.

I had the 1.9 TDI 104 ps int he 05 + 06 Caddy and it had a lot of pulling power but I wished it had the 2.0L 140 ps at the time, I would have got that, or I suppose you can re map the 1.6 for about 120 ps. Would be better.

Lower HP engine won't mean more mpg if you haven't got the power for it to do what you want.

A company I worked for made this mistake, going with the cheapest lowest HP yokes they could find, their fuel bills wend up a lot from the 75 hp vans compared to the 110 hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Boguey001

Hi guys sorry for the old thread revival but I'm in the same position now but I have the 1.6tdi caddy and I absolutely hate it, I'm driving vws over 10 years now and never considered changing till now. I had my heart set on a 2.0tdi caddy or was going to go back a few years to the 1.9tdi caddy but I drove a transit connect and I was very surprised with it, I would actually say it's better than the 1.6 tdi caddy so need opinions please and thanks.

What do you hate about the caddy? Just the engine? How old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭zamo27

there is now a new connect and a new caddy since this thread was starred. the dealers say things have changed especially on the connect

whats your experience with the new vans is it ford or VW

The new ford vans are actually quite nice. the company I work for has a fleet of Transit Couriers (connect is basically the same thing just a bit longer and a little wider) and I must say they're an impressive little yoke. Spec is quite good on them, Bluetooth streaming, lumbar support, elec heated mirrors, seat height adjust, Sync voice activation, foggy lights, remote locking, deadlocks, auto lights and wipers, leather wheel and gearknob. That's the trend model, which I think is most of what's out there as the base doesn't have sliding door or most of the goodies listed above.
    The 1.5 engine is the 75ps version, it's not fast but it isn't slow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

They are a way nicer than the Caddy even the older connect I despise the pedal position in the Caddy . Those new Connects look great with a nice set of wheels.

• Advertisement

Yeah, with the coloured handles/bumpers and alloys they look very well. Fella here near me has a red one.

Advertisement