Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring a UK car in the ROI?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm over for about 6 months - my UK insurance is up next week and only allows 30 days in Europe so I need to sort out other insurance - can I insure my UK car in the ROI? I don't want to go through the VRT process as only here for a few months?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

kellizer wrote: »
    I'm over for about 6 months - my UK insurance is up next week and only allows 30 days in Europe so I need to sort out other insurance - can I insure my UK car in the ROI? I don't want to go through the VRT process as only here for a few months?

Thanks.

If you are here only for few months, then most likely you won't be Irish resident, and therefore there's no need to register your car in Ireland.

You can keep it registered and insured in UK.

Your 30 days limit applies to comprehensive part of your policy.
    Legally required cover which is third party will be valid no matter how long you stay in Ireland.
    Just renew your policy and keep driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

CiniO wrote: »
    If you are here only for few months, then most likely you won't be Irish resident, and therefore there's no need to register your car in Ireland.

You can keep it registered and insured in UK.

Your 30 days limit applies to comprehensive part of your policy.
    Legally required cover which is third party will be valid no matter how long you stay in Ireland.
    Just renew your policy and keep driving.
    Or, since your policy is due for renewal, look for an insurance company in the UK that are happy to extend your cover for as long as you need it. I was with a company in NI that was happy to have extended cover for the full 12 months. That's a long time ago though and things may have changed.

Worth a check around though. As a new customer, they might just give you that incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kellizer

Thanks - likelihood I will be here for between 7-10 months, maybe 12; but don't want to register the car here and then de-register it - just passed the MOT yesterday and all is good.

I asked admiral, my insurer yesterday if they would insure me if I was living in ROI but they said they wouldn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

kellizer wrote: »
    Thanks - likelihood I will be here for between 7-10 months, maybe 12; but don't want to register the car here and then de-register it - just passed the MOT yesterday and all is good.

I asked admiral, my insurer yesterday if they would insure me if I was living in ROI but they said they wouldn't..

Well that changes things a bit.
    If you are staying here nearly all year, you might be considered resident in Ireland, and therefore you might need to re-register your car to Irish plates.

All really depends on your residency status.
    F.e. if you are keeping your place in UK, if you have family there and if you are going to return there regularly.

If you can prove, that even though you will be in Ireland for 12 months, but you are still resident in UK, then you can tell your insurer that you are still resident in UK and you are in Ireland only temporarily (you are not resident here) in which case, they can hardly refuse to insure you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if you take out Irish insurance and don't re-register the car,the Ins Co will report you after 30 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you Irish or British citizen?
    How long have you owned car?

Is it the same as car in this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92921114

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

corktina wrote: »
    if you take out Irish insurance and don't re-register the car,the Ins Co will report you after 30 days

All of them? A pure bunch of squealers them lot:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

All of them? A pure bunch of squealers them lot:pac:

I checked this out when I moved back from UK to make sure I had insurance while I was sorting out vrt, any of the Irish insurance companies will insure you for up to 12 months on a UK reg before they want you to reregister car in UK (of course different if you are importing the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

biko wrote: »

What difference does that make ?

I'm genuinely curious, I'm back for 6 months in Ireland next month and will be keeping it on Dutch Plates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

biko wrote: »

Pointless question, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement