Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would someone be able to do a JSA calculation for me please?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Married couple. Wife lost job, her Jobseekers Benefit is due to run out and she wants to claim Jobseekers Allowance.

Husband earns gross €500 a week. Pension contribution of €100 per week.

2 adult children who live at home. 1 away in college (receives full grant) 1 unemployed and receiving JSA.

There are savings of €50,000.

Mortgage paid off.

No second property or any form of rental income.

Would the wife qualify for JSA or is it worth the hassle. She has tried desperately to find a job in the last 9 months, up on 25 unsuccessful interviews.

Any help would be much appreciated. I keep getting confused with the savings calculation, whether to use the husbands net or gross income, qualified adult is confusing me too. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Based on info provided she would get 50-60 I reckon. (Assuming payment for the kid at college applies).

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Based on info provided she would get 50-60 I reckon. (Assuming payment for the kid at college applies).

I wouldn't say the payment for the dependent child would apply as it states it can only be paid to someone in receipt of JSA for a minimum of 156 days.

I wouldn't say the payment for the dependent child would apply as it states it can only be paid to someone in receipt of JSA for a minimum of 156 days.

She'll have been in receipt of job seekers benefit for that length of time and more though. The allowance takes over where the benefit leaves off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Be careful, if she applies for jsa and claims for the person on jsa as a dependant, they will close that child's claim immediately.

It may take 8 weeks for a decision to be made on a means test and there would be no payment in that time as there is one earner in the house.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Be careful, if she applies for jsa and claims for the person on jsa as a dependant, they will close that child's claim immediately.

There really is no need whatsoever to worry about this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Without assessing the savings she would get €78 pw approx but the €50000 in savings will reduce this further I calculate she will get €8pw approx... http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test_for_jobseekers_allowance.html

wmpdd3 wrote: »

It may take 8 weeks for a decision to be made on a means test and there would be no payment in that time as there is one earner in the house.

She cannot claim for a person who has their own jsa claim as they are not a dependant. If you are over 18 years of age and not in education then you cannot remain on your parents claim. She is claiming for a dependant child who is in college. She also has a son/daughter who has their own jsa payment.

eastbono wrote: »
    Without assessing the savings she would get €78 pw approx but the €50000 in savings will reduce this further I calculate she will get €8pw approx... http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test_for_jobseekers_allowance.html

Have you allowed for the stated pension deduction?

Dan if its an AVC it can be deducted but we do not have this info. So I am calculating as it not being an AVC.

eastbono wrote: »
    Dan if its an AVC it can be deducted but we do not have this info. So I am calculating as it not being an AVC.

Yea true enough. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I've only had a chance to look in just now.

To clarify, the child that would be claimed as a dependent is the one in college, aged 20. The other 'child' is 26 and on a full rate of JA and independent apart from living at home. They run their own car, buy all their own food, contribute to the ESB and TV/internet, only use their own mobile etc, buy their own clothes.

The pension contribution, I'm not 100% sure about, it's a weekly deduction into a privately set up pension fund. It's not a work related pension and was only set up about 3 years ago.

There is no joint saving account. The €50,000 is a cumulative figure of savings both of us have divided in our own names. We have never touched them in over 15 years and I really don't want to have to now but I know SW won't see it like that.

Its important that you get clarification on your pension payment. If your pension payment is an AVC or PRSA then that €100 will not be assessed and she should receive payment of €50 pw approx.

Advertisement