Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van for private use?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how hard it is to tax and insure a small van ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

That kind of depends on whether your taxing and insuring it privately or commercially. There should be no issues if your taxing and insuring it privately. Although only certain insurance companies will tax vans privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Bpmull wrote: »
    Although only certain insurance companies will tax vans privately.

Presumably you meant insure there Bpmull. As you mention though only certain insurance companies will insure a van, be it commercial insurance or private motor insurance. Its a question the OP needs to ask pretty soon after he gets on the phone to them.

I believe to tax a van commercially one needs to be VAT registered now. Having said that I have read a case or 2 on here of guys going into motor tax office assuming they should be taxing their van privately as they were not VAT registered and asking for the change to me. Despite this the girl that dealt with them would not make the change from commercial tax to private tax. That was a few years back I read of them cases, not sure if this was tightened up since - most likely has being like a lot of other things

Advertisement