Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Loan vs. Hire Purchase

Options
  • 15-11-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This topic may have been covered before so links are welcome.

My existing car is starting to get quite pricey to fix and I bought it with a bank draft some years ago from a brother. So I'm thinking of buying a newer car and would prefer to spend a little more to get a newer higher spec second hand car. I don't think that I'm interested in a new car.

Is a motor loan preferable from a bank over hire-purchase (or other financing options) from a dealer?

What sort of percentage of the total cost will the dealer expect to be cash?

What sort of interest rates should I expect?

What sort of pay-back periods are the norm?

Any common gotchas that crop up, that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Ger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Normally hire purchase is normally 2-5 years and anything in between depending on manufacturer. I suppose the benefit is interest rates are normally a lot lower. Bank loan is probably 10% interest vw seat haves deals on for January with sub 2% interest rates some even interest free. Normally 20-30% deposit. I can see no down side with hire purchase provided you pay the loan every month you'll have no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just remember that with a Hire Purchase agreement the car is the property of the finance company until the final payment is made. It is not yours to sell until the agreement is settled. Also the reason the maximum length of a HP agreement tends to be 5 years is that if they need to reposes the car it will still have enough market value to cover or minimise the loss on the debt.

There are different payment structures to hire purchase too such as lower monthly payments but at the end of the agreement you may have to pay a lump sum final payment which can end up being more than the market value of the car at that time. Others give you the option to hand back the car at the end of the term and take out a HP agreement on another car.

While car loans have higher interest rates most of them tend not to require the car as security on the loan.

Advertisement