Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wrestling with shadows.

Options
  • 15-11-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

What do ye think of this documenty?
    Watch it last night at 2 on YouTube. Didn't do much for me like it did before.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

World titles used to mean something. Now they don't. Quite simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

dose were da days Doubt if you wud ever see a documentary like dis being made anytime soon in da future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I am sure that both Vince McMahon/WWE and any performer who came after it learned a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rovert wrote: »
    World titles used to mean something. Now they don't. Quite simply.

still mean alot to daniel bryan fans...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The documentary exposes the business tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Ageyev wrote: »
    The documentary exposes the business tbh.

That's not a bad thing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's an excellent docu, I'm glad it's out and there's no doubt as to what a scumbag Vince McMahon is, there can be no glossing over the facts when they were literally recorded! Not a fan of being kayfabed in documentaries ("and he was my toughest opponent", "I would've won except Kane ran-in" etc) so it's right up my alley (ooh err). Also Hunter denying knowledge of it directly to Bret's wife, he's some fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The last time I saw it I noticed some continuity issues with incorrect timelines where ghe voiceover doesn't match the stuff on screen.

Really good documentary for its time. Iirc though, the question was never put to Bret why he didn't sue Vince for breach of contract either when Vince told him he couldn't pay the 20year deal or the creative control thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

My favourite wrestling documentary. Love it. Really shows Vince up as a scumbag though

It was the complete and utter vindication of Bret Hart in my eyes. But I'm a mark for him regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

its pretty good, not great

4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It was the complete and utter vindication of Bret Hart in my eyes. But I'm a mark for him regardless.

This. Given that he had reasonable creative control in his last 30 days he was on form ground legally to opt against dropping the title that night. Morally I think he was right too, he'd given so much to WWE and he was pushed down a road (the heel turn, the distasteful shots against him on TV) which he clearly didn't want to go down but he did for the company. When you hear Bret speak and his appreciation for what Vince and WWE did for him I don't think he was ever likely to show up in WCW with the title and anyway I don't think it was even possible. Bret relinquishing the title on the Raw afterwards would have been a nice send off but WWE went a different route. It worked out great for Vince and WWE from a business and creative point of view but there's no doubt that it was a scumbag move. Also Michaels in the locker room afterwards swearing to God that he didn't know, when he would later admit to having full knowledge of it, was equally a horrible thing to do. All in all I just found it unnecessary and a sour end for a great champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I found the whole thing quite depressing. Besides the obvious; Vince being a scumbag and Michaels and Trips being two-faced, self serving pricks. I thought Hart came across as a deluded blow hard. He really bought into himself being some sort of bastion of decency in a world gone mad or something. I respect his mantra of not hurting other wrestlers and not getting hurt yourself, however.

I also found Stu to be a very odd character. He honestly seemed to get off on hurting people, I dunno, there was something slightly sinister about how he operated. I bet a lot of really odd stuff happened in that household. Even if it was just hearing some lad screaming in 'the dungeon' while you ate your cornflakes before school.

This. Given that he had reasonable creative control in his last 30 days he was on form ground legally to opt against dropping the title that night. Morally I think he was right too, he'd given so much to WWE and he was pushed down a road (the heel turn, the distasteful shots against him on TV) which he clearly didn't want to go down but he did for the company. When you hear Bret speak and his appreciation for what Vince and WWE did for him I don't think he was ever likely to show up in WCW with the title and anyway I don't think it was even possible. Bret relinquishing the title on the Raw afterwards would have been a nice send off but WWE went a different route. It worked out great for Vince and WWE from a business and creative point of view but there's no doubt that it was a scumbag move. Also Michaels in the locker room afterwards swearing to God that he didn't know, when he would later admit to having full knowledge of it, was equally a horrible thing to do. All in all I just found it unnecessary and a sour end for a great champion.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Shawn Michaels showed the world what a cowardly prick he is with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Everybody on the Vince's side look like a bunch of spineless cowards. They all legitimately crap themselves backstage. I think it's because Bret went on such a rampage, one they knew would go down but not with which aggression.

Stand out moments are Vince hobbling after being decked by Bret and the above mentioned part of hunter not not having the balls to hold his hands up

I really think that Bret Hart UNDER-reacted if anything.

Advertisement