Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUC or Chromebox

Options
  • 15-11-2014 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I currently have a Raspberry Pi that I use for XBMC and would like to upgrade to something a bit faster.
    I was looking at the Minix Neo x8-H and several other boxes but I think in terms of price to performance with a budget of €200 a NUC or a Chromebox is the way to go. Does anyone have one of these? Ive seen a few people here discussing NUC's but I haven't come across anyone with a Chromebox. Another option would be to build a m-itx htpc but I don't know if I could get one with as good a spec with my budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I was very disappointed with the performance of the Pi for media streaming, but I also got the Minix X5 mini for the bro-in-law and it works really well and I also have an i3 NUC for myself and it's great, but i don't think you'll be getting one for €200 as you'll need an SSD, RAM, wifi card and a power lead which pushed up the price.

mine also doesn't get taxed too much either, it's just used for streaming video from my NAS with Win8 on it but it runs great, very nippy for what it is and plays back high bitrate 1080p no issues which my old Atom powered Acer Revo R3610 really struggled with in Win7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

vibe666 wrote: »
    I was very disappointed with the performance of the Pi for media streaming, but I also got the Minix X5 mini for the bro-in-law and it works really well and I also have an i3 NUC for myself and it's great, but i don't think you'll be getting one for €200 as you'll need an SSD, RAM, wifi card and a power lead which pushed up the price.

mine also doesn't get taxed too much either, it's just used for streaming video from my NAS with Win8 on it but it runs great, very nippy for what it is and plays back high bitrate 1080p no issues.

Yeah I think the pi is very overrated on some forums and websites. Ide imagine the i3 version would be a big jump in price compared to the celeron which I think would be ok? Black friday/cyber monday is coming up so im hopeful something will come up.

I would only be using it for streaming video also via apps on the xbmc/kodi platform. But want something that will perform well and be future proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

You should be able to get the baytrail (2820) NUC with Ram & disk for around 200. Add OpenElec and you have a system head and shoulders better than all the Android boxes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

You should be able to get the baytrail (2820) NUC with Ram & disk for around 200. Add OpenElec and you have a system head and shoulders better than all the Android boxes out there.

This is what I'm hopefully getting from the oh for santy. Had the same predicament as the op and went for the nuc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Ronan14 wrote: »

Not sure how this compares in terms of performance, not a lot on the web on this model, but certainly looks an interesting option.

In terms of price, the 2820 NUC plus 4 GB RAM is to be had for £136.92 on amazon. You might want to add storage on top of that, but I am running one with just openelec on a USB stick. Other thing to bear in mind, the NUC comes with bluetooth, Wifi, and Infrared receiver which means you just need to add a cheap MCE remote and you're done. Not sure if this Chromebox has any of that in this spec.

Not sure how this compares in terms of performance, not a lot on the web on this model, but certainly looks an interesting option.

In terms of price, the 2820 NUC plus 4 GB RAM is to be had for £136.92 on amazon. You might want to add storage on top of that, but I am running one with just openelec on a USB stick. Other thing to bear in mind, the NUC comes with bluetooth, Wifi, and Infrared receiver which means you just need to add a cheap MCE remote and you're done. Not sure if this Chromebox has any of that in this spec.

Allot of talk about these on the xbmc forums, they seem to be a popular option. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362 They come with everything, 16gb storage, 2/4GB ram, wifi and most have gigabit ethernet.

Advertisement