Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota avensis anti roll bar bushes

Options
  • 15-11-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Had NCT last week on 01 avensis. Failed on anti roll bar bushes, have had a look at them and they are rung off. Does anyone have any ideas how I would go about replacing. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You mean the heads of the bolts holding the brackets have sheared?

This happened me with a mates 2001 Avensis. I hadn't time (or space IIRC) to be messing much with them and needed to get the car mobile. So I put a spot of weld on them. Not sure if this is advisable though as you're quite close to the fuel tank!!

Otherwise, you'll have to create the space to drill out the remains on the bolt and rethread it and then fit new bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 KD3107

Would it pass NCT retest with spot weld?

KD3107 wrote: »
    Would it pass NCT retest with spot weld?

It's passed at least 2 since. I thought he'd be getting rid of it. I wasn't worried about the NCT but I hope he doesn't come back to me to replace them!!! :):o

Don't blame you not wanting to do it. Not an easy one to do on your own!!

I wonder do these bolts come through to the back of the base of the rear seat? It's a while since I did one!!

If they do you might be able to drill from inside out if you remove the rear seat? If you can do that you could just put a bolt through with a nut on the inside. You could even just cut off the welded nut on the inside rather than drilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Is it the head of the bolt that's rung? If so you could try weld a bigger nut to the worn bolt.

mayota wrote: »
    Is it the head of the bolt that's rung? If so you could try weld a bigger nut to the worn bolt.

They shear off flush with the steel. There is a hole in the steel with a nut welded on the other side. The bolt shears right at the nut. Not possible to put anything on it as you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Avns1s wrote: »
    They shear off flush with the steel. There is a hole in the steel with a nut welded on the other side. The bolt shears right at the nut. Not possible to put anything on it as you describe.

Ah ya, just thought maybe it was the edges worn and he could'nt grip the bolt head. There an awkward yoke to do. Subframe dropped and can be tricky to get bolt back in when new bush in. Don't think drilling through would work as it's a sorta hollow box frame, unless you used a very long bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

did i miss poster saying front or rear??

greasepalm wrote: »
    did i miss poster saying front or rear??

Good point but I know I assumed rear as they're the ones that usually go.

• Advertisement

Sorry folks, yeah it's the rear alright. Managed to get one side welded will be doing the other tomorrow eve. Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully it will pass retest fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Much Easyer to drop the subframe to do it. Faster too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i hope the bushes are not worn =knock-knock

Advertisement