Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldiers tied barbed wire to colleague’s toes and shocked him with cable

Options
  • 15-11-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

Surprised there is no thread on this.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/soldiers-tied-barbed-wire-to-colleagues-toes-and-shocked-him-with-cable-297604.html
    A soldier was tied up, had barbed wire strung around his toes, and was subjected to a number of electric shocks to his feet and chest as a group of up to 30 of his colleagues looked on.
    The treatment meted out to the man was also videoed on a camera phone by one of the onlookers.
    The Defence Forces confirmed military police are investigating the alleged incident following a complaint made by a serving army member. It’s understood they have interviewed the victim, a soldier in his 30s with a number of years’ service. They have also taken statements from personnel who witnessed the incident at The Curragh.

Of course it is under investigation but it is surprising and disappointing that this sort of thing has happened in the Irish defence forces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

I saw a trash tabloid article last week about some recruit who claims he was abused etc. during his recruit training and left after 3 months. Only saw the headlines and read a bit of the article but, after instructing in Recruit training myself, his story was so fantastic as to be complete and utter bollox - probably kicked out for incompetence after 3 months and wanted to get his own back. No way things like that can happen in recruit training.

This story....very different. Don't know the full story behind it and it is under investigation. Have been on army courses where you come home black and blue but that is the nature of the beast.... but this is different. If true, this is something that many people thought had been left behind a long time ago. Yes, there is horseplay between soldiers but that is generally good natured.... this story is different and, if true, not acceptable. We have come so far in this area and to see this happening is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SallyCanWait

This sounds like something from Guantanamo Bay - shocking to hear something like this from the Irish Defence Forces :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

As far as I am aware, using barbed wire with a field phone wont work, you need Don10, the barbed wire would not supply the current.

What of the barbs? Pierced skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why did the soldier go to the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Gatling wrote: »

If a soldier is being bullied or harassed theres internal channels the complainant can take if there is a grievance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

mikeym wrote: »
    If a soldier is being bullied or harassed theres internal channels the complainant can take if there is a grievance.

I know that surely the person in question knew that,

Any one happened to know if the windup telescope or whatever was used would actually have the juice to electrocute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Field telephones supply (or used to anyway) 100v ringing signal. Probably still do, to be backwards-compatible with Plain Old Telephone Systems. Not sure what the current is, but if you get a bang of it you'll know all about it. Very painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

Apart from the pain - the public humiliation? Smartphones = Facebook / Youtube?

Can actually be worse than the physical pain nowadays . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Gatling wrote: »

maybe made a complaint of assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

I would havge thought that the MPs would have to deal with it first but that, ultimately, it would be a Garda matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

EganTheMan wrote: »
    I would havge thought that the MPs would have to deal with it first but that, ultimately, it would be a Garda matter?
    So would I. Despicable bullying and mistreatment.

Advertisement