Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor and Engineer Recommendations for House Buying

Options
  • 15-11-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I will hopefully be buying our first home soon and are looking for recommendations on Solicitors and Engineers for completing the sale. Does anyone have any recommendations?

We want as fuss free and straight up people as possible who are also quick!

Thanks,
    Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Are you buying an older house (e.g. for a renovation project etc)? Or is it a newer house?

If it's a new house, you'll have less hassle - esp. with an engineer. An older house will need a really thorough inspection and Engineer's report etc and may prove more difficult to conveyance.

I can't offer any recommendations - any I've used have sadly been money-grabbing, incompetent cretins who only care about billing you an extra couple of hours work.

On that, be warned that they will bill you for every little thing - if you ring to ask a question, they'll try to bill you.

Try to negotiate a flat fee with the solr - probably best not to do same for the engineer.

However, if the Eng (or solr for that matter) seem disinterested, drop them - they're only going to stiff you.

Caveat emptor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Thanks, house is newish 10 years old tops so dont anticipate too many issues... will keep all your suggestions in mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I dealt with Doodys Solicitors on the mall a few times in the past and found them very good to deal with
    Send an email to a few different solicitors asking for prices etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its just like the dentist - everyones dentist is the soundest and best value, but generally they are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I have also used Doodys and agreed their rate previous to them starting work. They were good to deal with and the bill came in as it was supposed to with nothing added on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

fionny,

For an engineer: I used a chap called Brian Ronayne recently.
    He looked at two houses for me.
    Came as a recommendations through someone I know. I was very happy with the work he did, his reports were very detailed and he knew his stuff.
    Nice guy too.

Brian Ronayne
    087 8125536
    brian_ronayne@hotmail.com

For Solicitor, I used:
    Padraig J Sheehan Solicitors
    Village Green House
    Douglas West
    Douglas
    padraig@pjsheehan.ie
    Tel 021 4360066

Very happy with their service and cost + they did a Will for me too at a good price while doing all the house dealings.
    They were very on the ball, no messing around or delaying with anything, very nice to deal with.

Happy to stand over both as a recommendations.

Best of luck with your purchase.
    LeNNoX

Advertisement