Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin port tunnel question

Options
  • 15-11-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Gigging in dublin last night, decided to take the tunnel as I didn't fancy trying to avoid the drunken carnage on o'connell St.
    Anyway I went to the left hand lane which is for trucks and unmanned.
    The barrier opened and I went thru.
    Was my reg taken and I'll get a bill in the post?
    I have a video account for the M50, would this have triggered the barrier?
    Or as I had a lot of band gear in the van, did it think I was over 3,500kg and let me pass for free?
    The van is a renault kangoo, even with all the gear I don't think it would be anywhere near 3,500kg..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

The reality is private car are not subject to getting charged for using any toll roads as the mandate the government gave them was they could only charge commercail traffic .However the government would look the other way iif the toll road operators charged private cars under the legal trick that all private cars are classed as private vehicle /small goods vehicle .The Toll road operator can chose to believe the private cars are small good vehicles and charge them as commercail operator who they have legal jurisdiction to charge for tolls .However writing a suitable letter back to them showing your a private operator as many people who practice this results in them giving up looking for the tolls from M50 or tunnels etc .
    All the info on how not to pay tolls and not be the wrong side of the legal system and remain legal is here in this link .

http://peoplesinternetradio.com/forum/topics/eflow-notice

Its not illegal to not pay tolls if you can prove the car isn't a commercail vehicle doing commercial activity. If the car is taxed as a commercial vehicle this might be harder to prove its a private car for private use.However I dont think the toll operators are linked the type of road tax the van/vehicle is . Note that the word VEHICLE instead of the word car or motor car is because all objects called VEHICLE are automatically doing commercail activity .
    In the commercail lingo a commercail enterprise like money capital transfer of assets can also be vehicle even though it sure isn't a car or van or truck .
    Thats why Garda always call it VEEHEEaKILL with thick culthie accent .The Garda only have jurisdiction over commercail Vehicles and not private cars

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't post in this thread any more derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

kbell wrote: »
    Gigging in dublin last night, decided to take the tunnel as I didn't fancy trying to avoid the drunken carnage on o'connell St.
    Anyway I went to the left hand lane which is for trucks and unmanned.
    The barrier opened and I went thru.
    Was my reg taken and I'll get a bill in the post?
    I have a video account for the M50, would this have triggered the barrier?
    Or as I had a lot of band gear in the van, did it think I was over 3,500kg and let me pass for free?
    The van is a renault kangoo, even with all the gear I don't think it would be anywhere near 3,500kg..

Ring eflow, they are fairly sound unless you start taking the pish. I'd say you just got charged as a light commercial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yeah you'll get something in the post. The lanes have front and rear cameras and record images as well as videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Cheers Donal, I'll watch the post so!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Your wrong there Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bop1977

Does the van have an eflow toll tag? If so then it will work in the port tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

derry wrote: »
    The reality is private car are not subject to getting charged for using any toll roads as the mandate the government gave them was they could only charge commercail traffic .However the government would look the other way iif the toll road operators charged private cars under the legal trick that all private cars are classed as private vehicle /small goods vehicle .The Toll road operator can chose to believe the private cars are small good vehicles and charge them as commercail operator who they have legal jurisdiction to charge for tolls .However writing a suitable letter back to them showing your a private operator as many people who practice this results in them giving up looking for the tolls from M50 or tunnels etc .
    All the info on how not to pay tolls and not be the wrong side of the legal system and remain legal is here in this link .

http://peoplesinternetradio.com/forum/topics/eflow-notice

Its not illegal to not pay tolls if you can prove the car isn't a commercail vehicle doing commercial activity. If the car is taxed as a commercial vehicle this might be harder to prove its a private car for private use.However I dont think the toll operators are linked the type of road tax the van/vehicle is . Note that the word VEHICLE instead of the word car or motor car is because all objects called VEHICLE are automatically doing commercail activity .
    In the commercail lingo a commercail enterprise like money capital transfer of assets can also be vehicle even though it sure isn't a car or van or truck .
    Thats why Garda always call it VEEHEEaKILL with thick culthie accent .The Garda only have jurisdiction over commercail Vehicles and not private cars

Derry

Ha ha. Hilarious.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You'll get a letter in the post outlining what a bad boy you were and giving options of how to pay. same happened to me one night, they'd messed up the lights to say which booth was open/closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ok, Speaking from experience here.
    Driving a light commercial van with a functioning tag I used that left lane on the port tunnel north bound once when there was a huge tail back on the only other two lanes that were open.
    The barrier lifted and it left me thinking the tag had paid the toll.
    About two or three months later I got a polite letter asking me to pay the appropriate (3 euro) toll charge. I checked my tag account and saw that the toll had Not been taken. So I rang them back to double check and they said as I was a regular user (at the time) to present the notice at the booth next time and pay the fee. I did that and that was the end of it.
    So expect a letter at some stage and just arrange the payment, no biggie.

Advertisement