Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwing knives for a beginner

Options
  • 15-11-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Guys,

I'd like to learn how to work with throwing knives. I'm a total beginner and am looking for some advice on what knives to buy to get meself started?

Also, what would you advise to using as a target? Want to practice in my backyard, which has saled, concrete walls all around.

All the best,
    Michal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

The art you practice will have its preferred type and reasons for such, this is true for all weapons.

In Wudang arts they are normally used in conjunction with a Jian, to cover you as you close distance, or in close to misdirect the opponent. Sure targeting is important, but not "relied upon", as the old saying states "throwing a weapon at your opponent is giving him one" !

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Greven

Thanks Niall, the problem is I'm not training any related martial art. I want to practice on me own, but there's tons of brands/types of knives to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Get some six inch nails and a safe place to throw them at a soft board and go from there.

And a copy of this, the level of detail is a bit obsessive but its good:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Throwing-Definitive-Techniques-Downloadable-ebook/dp/B00H128HZU/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416080580&sr=1-5&keywords=throwing+knives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Greven, knife throwing is a pretty serious skill and certainly not something I would recommend trying without any instruction. There are a HUGE number of ways/skills in correct knife throwing and its certainly worth the while to learn from someone.

Here is a link to the Knife Throwing Club Ireland which has been fairly inactive for the last few years due to its many and varied members martial arts commitments but in terms of finding a good knife for throwing, you will find details for John Taylor and he is not only an excellent instructor but he also supplies the best throwing blades I have ever used.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/314540681953461/

Advertisement