Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSYCHOLOGY versus PSYCHIATRY (through Medicine) - university course/career?

Options
  • 15-11-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all, I am currently a 6th year student sitting the Leaving Cert in 2015.

At present I am debating about whether to psychology (Trinity is my first choice) or medicine (NUIG is my preference). My passion lies within caring for people with mental health issues, and I feel like if I do go down the medical route the only job that would suit me would be that of a psychiatrist. I am immensely interested in people, behaviour, personality and the mind, more so than for example the respiratory system. I know that is a huge thing to say but I honestly can't see myself as a GP or consultant of some other form.

My issue with doing medicine is that I have a multitude of other interests, and I don't want my job to be my whole entire life. I adore literature, languages, politics, debating, creative writing, art, music, cooking.. When it comes down to it, I am in between doing something with science, and doing something with the arts/humanities. If I had to choose, I would consider myself to be more 'artsy' than 'sciencey'. I think that I would prefer studying psychology to studying medicine. Also, I am conscious of the fact that I could completely change my mind on finishing my degree, therefore studying psychology (possibly with French or English Literature as part of the TSM) would leave me with more options, whereas if I do medicine I'm basically hemming myself into psychiatry.

My question is which job would be more ''enjoyable''? Which would enable me to pursue the better, well-balanced lifestyle? I understand that both professions require dedication, perseverance and many long years of training and studying. I believe a psychiatrist requires 8 years post-grad study (I would be qualified at the age of 32) and a clinical psychologist requires about 5 or 6, as the doctorate programme is extremely difficult to get into. (I would be qualified at about the age of 28).

I believe I have the personal qualities to fit either profession, and have always been the friend that people go to with their problems, which I gain a sense of fulfilment from working through. If I was to go into psychiatry, I would hopefully be a part of a new generation of psychiatrists who focus on medication only as a last resort.

I have been advised my my teachers and even a lecturer of psychology at UCD to go down the medicine route. This is because, according to them, I could always go back and study psychology as in 'interest subject' later on in life. Also, they have said that the focus would not be on 'giving out pills', but that I could do courses that would enable me to practise psychotherapy etc. (That was a worry of mine). Finally, I have been told that 'the main difference' between being a clinical psychologist and being a psychiatrist is 'about 100k'). Now, I am firmly opposed to choosing any profession based on salary, and I am aware that as a clinical psychologist you can earn over 100,000 per year, which is more than comfortable. So even though a psychiatrist earns just short of 200,000, would they have the spare time for it actually to be worthwhile having a higher income? Basically, would a clinical psychologist on 100,000 enjoy a better LIFESTYLE (less hours, less responsibility, more time to pursue other interests) than a psychiatrist on 180,000 (whose job may be more of a vocation?)

I am aware that this is ridiculously long, apologies! I would really appreciate some advice/information as I have yet to come across someone in a similar dilemma. It is an enormous decision! Thankyou so much for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't get too bogged down in details of each career, salary and the day to day realities of the job at this point as your interests may well change. For clinical psychology, yes, it'll probably be your late 20s before you get there, as in, accepted into a programme. 28 sounds optimistic as you have to pick up a lot of experience to boost your application to get an interview. You may well have to do a Masters first, experience with Childline, the Samaritans, potential patient groups, etc. If you want to keep up your hobbies it's probably possible with undergrad psychology, don't know about medicine, but I'd imagine it has a much more hectic schedule.

Do look up some psychology lectures (stats, neuro, child development, etc) to get a sense of the subject. You'll find some on iTunes or over at Academic Earth. Both TCD and UCD have Youtube channels with a few short clips about this area. Whatever about your teachers, do go with what feels right for you. Sometimes it's best to ignore what others are saying.

Maybe drop over to the Health Sciences Education forum if you've not already checked it out.

Advertisement