Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking a flight school

Options
  • 15-11-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Trying to decide on a flight school at Weston Airport- should I go with National Flight Centre or Flightwise? What's the pro's and con's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Lorraine_C wrote: »
    Trying to decide on a flight school at Weston Airport- should I go with National Flight Centre or Flightwise? What's the pro's and con's?

In my opinion it would be much better to go with NFC because they have way more aircraft and instructors. This is an important point as aircraft will go tech.
    NFC are also a very professional set-up and teach to a very high standard.
    However they are very expensive.

Why does it have to be Weston? If I was to do the PPL again I probably would go to use a flying club.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

There is Skyways at Weston also-fleet -two Cessna 152s. I've flown with NFC and the now defunct Skytrace. Much preferred Skytrace. If i were you I would take a trial lesson at each(if you can) to help sway your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Alaba320

Type 'Flightwise' into the boards.ie search bar and decide for yourself. Very poorly run school. Stick to skyways or NFC

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Juan Don

My advice is to stay well clear of Flightwise. I know a few people, myself included, who have been badly burned by them. NFC, while not perfect, would be your best option. They have plenty of aircraft and instructors available and if you book a few days in advance you should get what you want.

I don't have any dealings with skyways but they have good instructors working there. I have flown with two of them in particular when I was training for my ppl. I haven't seen skyways on the ramp at Weston in a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lorraine_C

Thanks All!

Just signed up for an introductory flight with NFC. Also checking out Flying Clubs though.

If you have any more advise I would really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Are you going for a PPL or thinking of becoming a commercial pilot?

If it's just a PPL then you should look seriously at flying clubs. They have the advantage of being less expensive and having a better social scene. The disadvantage of a flying club is that it takes more time. You are dependant on the availability of the Instructor and the aircraft as is every other student in the club. But if you're not in a hurry that might suit.

But on the other hand because it's a club there's opportunities to be around other club members, some of whom will be happy to take you under the wing as it were. You could go flying with them and gain an insight into cross country or even cross channel flights when you're still a student pilot. Quite often flying club members may be very experienced pilots so are a fund of knowledge.

On the other hand the flight school is quicker and you can normally be sure you'll get a booking on a day you are available if you book in advance. You can even book a flight every day if you want to.

So you 'pays your money and take you choice' as they say.

One other thing. Don't be afraid to ask to change instructors during training if you feel you are not making progress because of an incompatibility. You're the customer remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lorraine_C

I've been warned about that with flying clubs - that it would take longer due to instructors. I'd want to do this within a 12-18 month period at the max. Do you think this would be possible with a flying club?

I'm going for a PPL to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Lorraine_C wrote: »
    I've been warned about that with flying clubs - that it would take longer due to instructors. I'd want to do this within a 12-18 month period at the max. Do you think this would be possible with a flying club?

I'm going for a PPL to start with.
    No unless they have several aircraft and a full time Instructor.

folbotcar wrote: »
    No unless they have several aircraft and a full time Instructor.

I think the only club in Ireland that has multiple aircraft and full time instructors is the Ulster Flying Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Ok i know alot of people here dont like flightwise for what ever reasons, but i went through them years ago and they were great friendly bunch.

Worked out a time schedule to suit my needs etc i highly recommend them. With winter on us its all down to the weather how much you fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 John5647543

Would not recommend the integrated course at nfc weston, training involves sitting around for days waiting for good weather with the result that you have to do things again & again with different instructors all leading to a bad training record and extra cost. The vast majority of people who have trained here don't get jobs. They have a few success examples but most of these have done a few hours often a lot more on the quiet with a friend or relative before they start the integrated course. As regards the pay as you go option, never , never ever do this, you will get all your licences but you will never get an airline job. Recruiters want to see somone who has completed all the targets in the 18month time frame, they don't want someone who has a record stretched out over years because this does not show them that you can meet challenging dealines within a given timeframe which is what they want. Aerlingus, british airways, easyjet, emirates etc etc, train their cadets at FTE Jerez, CTC wings & CAE Oxford Aviation. If you look at the linkedin profiles of ryanair pilots the vast majority will have trained at one of these, Maybe 2 or 3 will have trained at nfc. If you want the best chance of training and getting a job its best to save up the cash and do an integrated course at one of these. It also helps to have practice done without any record kept and have fully studied all the academic material before you start the official course. This will help you to have that all important excellent training record ie all tests past with the minimum training required and in the 18 month timeframe. It says to recruiters that you are a fast learner, intelligent, able to meet deadlines under stress and well organised which is what they want. You can't do this sitting around waiting for good weather at weston which is why despite their best efforts the vast majority of their past students have never got airline jobs.

Would not recommend the integrated course at nfc weston, training involves sitting around for days waiting for good weather with the result that you have to do things again & again with different instructors all leading to a bad training record and extra cost. The vast majority of people who have trained here don't get jobs. They have a few success examples but most of these have done a few hours often a lot more on the quiet with a friend or relative before they start the integrated course. As regards the pay as you go option, never , never ever do this, you will get all your licences but you will never get an airline job. Recruiters want to see somone who has completed all the targets in the 18month time frame, they don't want someone who has a record stretched out over years because this does not show them that you can meet challenging dealines within a given timeframe which is what they want. Aerlingus, british airways, easyjet, emirates etc etc, train their cadets at FTE Jerez, CTC wings & CAE Oxford Aviation. If you look at the linkedin profiles of ryanair pilots the vast majority will have trained at one of these, Maybe 2 or 3 will have trained at nfc. If you want the best chance of training and getting a job its best to save up the cash and do an integrated course at one of these. It also helps to have practice done without any record kept and have fully studied all the academic material before you start the official course. This will help you to have that all important excellent training record ie all tests past with the minimum training required and in the 18 month timeframe. It says to recruiters that you are a fast learner, intelligent, able to meet deadlines under stress and well organised which is what they want. You can't do this sitting around waiting for good weather at weston which is why despite their best efforts the vast majority of their past students have never got airline jobs.

I think that you have a few issues and should seek counselling.

It is what it is. Grow up.

You probably just we're not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

The guy just signed up to specifically bad mouth a particular flight school. Perhaps if you completed a course, qualified to the required standard and cannot find a job, maybe look at yourself and see what you're doing wrong rather than blame the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

given how much the "heads" of NFC badmouth other schools and organizations, I suppose you could say "you plough what you seed".. however, I do agree that John seems to have let his emotions take over and have missed the fact that recruiting is at it's low in airline industry in general, not just between NFC graduates...

but what do I know.. I like my flying club and wouldn't change it for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cppilot98

I see he started in the a now locked thread so he decided to continue the rant here.

I've no remit to defend the NFC but really you can't blame them for the weather. Even if you believe in man made climate change.

The rest is just riddled with inaccuracies. How can there be extra costs on an integrated course? Isn't that the point of integrated courses? Fixed prices?
    As regards the pay as you go option, never , never ever do this, you will get all your licences but you will never get an airline job. Recruiters want to see somone who has completed all the targets in the 18month time frame, they don't want someone who has a record stretched out over years because this does not show them that you can meet challenging dealines within a given timeframe which is what they want.
    That's rubbish and flies in the face of my experience and that of others. Not all pilots have all the money upfront. Sometimes it takes years to get all the licences and ratings together. It's not ideal but plenty have done it.

Not only that he suggests that pay as you go is a bad option. Tell that to the people who lost all their money when PTC in Waterford went bust.
    It also helps to have practice done without any record kept and have fully studied all the academic material before you start the official course. This will help you to have that all important excellent training record ie all tests past with the minimum training required and in the 18 month timeframe. It says to recruiters that you are a fast learner, intelligent, able to meet deadlines under stress and well organised which is what they want.
    I've never heard of anyone recommending unlogged flight training as a way of getting through a course. It doesn't say you're a fast learner and intelligent it says you're a cheat and you will be found out when you it's put to the test by an employer. It also ignores the reality that most integrated courses will allow 45 hours towards the training. So you don't have to cheat. I've heard of pilots faking flight hours but never anyone pretending to have fewer hours. You're on your own there mate!

But there is nothing to stop anyone studying the academic material before starting the course. That's a good idea.
    The vast majority of people who have trained here don't get jobs.

If you look at the linkedin profiles of ryanair pilots the vast majority will have trained at one of these, Maybe 2 or 3 will have trained at nfc.
    Both statements are simply and laughably untrue. In fact if anything NFC has provided a disproportionate number or Ryanair pilots over the years.

You know it's easy to blame a flight school for your own failings. Not everyone is cut out for the job even if they do pass all the courses, even if they go to an expensive school. I often meet all sorts of newly qualified pilots. It's funny, you can sometimes tell which ones are going to succeed but can always tell the which ones should cut their losses and go back to their previous life.

Advertisement