Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working hours

Options
  • 15-11-2014 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unregistered 'cos everyone and their great granny knows where I work !

Anyway, I recently started a new job but I'm having issues with the amount of hours I'm being asked to work as I'm in college also. I haven't said anything thus far as I wanted to wait until I'd settled in and everything had calmed down from starting out.

The contract with my employer is a 14 hour MAX per week contract. However since I started working there I've been asked/rostered to work 27 hours + a week. My course in college is already pretty hours heavy with 22 hours class contact, 10-14 hours of assignments and 28 hours of recommended individual study/revision per week.

Clearly doing this kind of workload and also working 27 hours+ a week isn't feasible or sustainable for any period.

I really like the job and the pay is pretty good for the line of work also. So I'd really like it if I was able to work something out and not have to resign. However, I'm on a temporary contract with the possibility of having it renewed after Christmas (most people's are) so I don't really want to rock the boat so to speak but My College work is more important so I do need to say something. I'm just unsure how I should approach it ?

I don't want them to get the wrong impression or think that I'm lazy ect and just not willing to do the work rather that I need time other than college and work to sleep and eat and shower !

The HR department have been pretty decent so far but I've gotten the impression (from them making a mistake and thinking it was my fault momentarily) that the main HR manager is like the devil reincarnate if you get on their bad side so I'd like to approach this as diplomatically as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice on how I could approach this as best as possible it would be greatly appreciated ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If this is retail, go see hr asap, the rotas are probably done and costed until after Christmas

Advertisement