Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grievance policy - fight fire with fire?

Options
  • 14-11-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'll try to be concise as possible.

Approx 10 months ago we had a restructure in work which resulted in me having a new line manager.
    Straight away we didn't get on and the relationship was strained.

In the interim I had to take time off for personal reasons (Unpaid,) so I burnt through my leave allowance to keep the paychecks coming in.

In the past week, despite numerous mails, calls and texts to her hoping to discuss the working relationship/, I've had ZERO comms whatsoever.
    Yesterday, I was called into a meeting with HR that my manager couldn't attend as she was "Double booked." During the meeting, HR commented that she had levied some serious accusations around productivity, time keeping and absenteesim.

This is the first I've heard of it, no informal warnings, no mails on the same, no meetings and defenitly no formal warnings or even a PIP.

I've never been even near disciplined or even put on a PIP but considering the level of accusations, I think I have to protect myself. As much as I'd love to even try to sort this amicably, it seems that ship has sailed.

Am I right in thinking I should initiate a grievance procedure in advance of official HR proceedings? (Something I've never ever had to do in 20 years working.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Grievance wrote: »
    I'll try to be concise as possible.

Approx 10 months ago we had a restructure in work which resulted in me having a new line manager.
    Straight away we didn't get on and the relationship was strained.

In the interim I had to take time off for personal reasons (Unpaid,) so I burnt through my leave allowance to keep the paychecks coming in.

In the past week, despite numerous mails, calls and texts to her hoping to discuss the working relationship/, I've had ZERO comms whatsoever.
    Yesterday, I was called into a meeting with HR that my manager couldn't attend as she was "Double booked." During the meeting, HR commented that she had levied some serious accusations around productivity, time keeping and absenteesim.

This is the first I've heard of it, no informal warnings, no mails on the same, no meetings and defenitly no formal warnings or even a PIP.

I've never been even near disciplined or even put on a PIP but considering the level of accusations, I think I have to protect myself. As much as I'd love to even try to sort this amicably, it seems that ship has sailed.

Am I right in thinking I should initiate a grievance procedure in advance of official HR proceedings? (Something I've never ever had to do in 20 years working.)

Greivence about what exactly? Has your manager done something to you? You admitted to an issue which required you to be absent from work, your timekeeping is binary, either you were late or you weren't and productivity is subjective, you can dispute it or accept it depending on what you put forward in response to your manager's claims.

They will notify you as to the issues raised with your performance and you can bring a union representative with you to the meeting. "Fighting fire with fire" by raising a pre emptive grievance before you even receive the notice is a sure way to escalate the matter, particularly as your manager got there first.

Advertisement