Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Swapping from Manual to Automatic: EDT change?

Options
  • 14-11-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I did my 12 EDT lessons in a Manual transmission. After months of practice and extra lessons I'm still finding I'm panicking a lot so I've decided to swap over to automatic. My plan is to get comfortable driving in the automatic and go back to the manual at a later date when I've been driving long enough not to be frightened.

I'm just wondering, do I have to re-do the 12 EDT lessons in an automatic now or do the manual ones count?

Also, if anyone has experience changing to an automatic due to nerves; was it a marked improvement/easier on your stress levels?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Jade182 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I did my 12 EDT lessons in a Manual transmission. After months of practice and extra lessons I'm still finding I'm panicking a lot so I've decided to swap over to automatic. My plan is to get comfortable driving in the automatic and go back to the manual at a later date when I've been driving long enough not to be frightened.

I'm just wondering, do I have to re-do the 12 EDT lessons in an automatic now or do the manual ones count?

Also, if anyone has experience changing to an automatic due to nerves; was it a marked improvement/easier on your stress levels?
    Thanks!

No you don't need to do the 12 again, it doesn't matter what type of car or transmission you use. Your instructor should have uploaded your lessons onto the RSA website at this stage, and that's all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Your switching to an automatic car, doesn't make any difference to your EDT lessons. Once you have them all done & they are all uploaded to the RSA's website, you are all set. You can now apply to sit your driving test.

However, if you stick with the automatic car and you do your test in an automatic car, your resulting license will only be for driving automatic cars. You will not be licensed to drive manual cars. If you want to get a license that allows you to drive both manual and automatic cars, you will have to re sit and pass your test in a manual car.

Advertisement