Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question UPC Phone

Options
  • 14-11-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

Hey folks per the title I've a quick question, got UPC Phone as part of a bundle but don't really use it we're currently with Eircom and paying stupid money for a phone service which is very minuscule but the bills are way over what we need, thinking about dumping them and switching is it possible to port over our old number to UPC even though we have a number with them already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Hey folks per the title I've a quick question, got UPC Phone as part of a bundle but don't really use it we're currently with Eircom and paying stupid money for a phone service which is very minuscule but the bills are way over what we need, thinking about dumping them and switching is it possible to port over our old number to UPC even though we have a number with them already?

Yes they can request your old number to be transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Cheers man appreciate the quick response.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

As already mentioned it is. You will probably lose your existing UPC number. Generally UPC is installed before the number ports over, so on their side there shouldn't be an issue.

Let us know if you've any problems.

Mr. G wrote: »
    As already mentioned it is. You will probably lose your existing UPC number. Generally UPC is installed before the number ports over, so on their side there shouldn't be an issue.

Let us know if you've any problems.

Just trying to keep the continuity of the old phone number we've had forever, don't think my father could get use to trying to learn a new one. He recently signed up to a new 12 month contract with Eircom which we will have to pay €150 to break it (which is fine as we'll save €€€ in the long run) and spoke with UPC and it will only add an extra €5 onto our bill to get 300 anytime minutes which I think is more than enough.

Got another quick question while I'm here, any idea if we port the number does that void the Eircom line or do we have to get in contact with them to cancel it ourselves?

Just trying to keep the continuity of the old phone number we've had forever, don't think my father could get use to trying to learn a new one. He recently signed up to a new 12 month contract with Eircom which we will have to pay €150 to break it (which is fine as we'll save €€€ in the long run) and spoke with UPC and it will only add an extra €5 onto our bill to get 300 anytime minutes which I think is more than enough.

Got another quick question while I'm here, any idea if we port the number does that void the Eircom line or do we have to get in contact with them to cancel it ourselves?

Do not cancel your Eircom line. Whatever you do, don't do that!

I've seen so many people been cut-off because they cancelled their line before it was ported to Vodafone/Imagine/Whoever. UPC will submit a port request to Eircom and once it's ported, Eircom will cut the line.

Keep in mind that any contract you sign with Eircom has a 30 day cooling-off period during which you can change your mind without penalty.

If it's past the 30 day cooling off period, and you end up paying €150 to break it:
    • You cannot be charged VAT on the cancellation fee as it is not a good or service
    • €24*12 = €288 with Eircom, (It would be more than €24). UPC is essentially €5*12 = €60. €150 + 60 = €210 so in the long run, even the first year it's cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Keep in mind that any contract you sign with Eircom has a 30 day cooling-off period during which you can change your mind without penalty.

no, it doesn't.

any number is kept for 13 months then it's released, so there'd be a temporary number issued before the port could be done

Do not cancel your Eircom line. Whatever you do, don't do that!

I've seen so many people been cut-off because they cancelled their line before it was ported to Vodafone/Imagine/Whoever. UPC will submit a port request to Eircom and once it's ported, Eircom will cut the line.

If it's past the 30 day cooling off period, and you end up paying €150 to break it:
    • You cannot be charged VAT on the cancellation fee as it is not a good or service
    • €24*12 = €288 with Eircom, (It would be more than €24). UPC is essentially €5*12 = €60. €150 + 60 = €210 so in the long run, even the first year it's cheaper.

Our Eircom bill is roughly €85 every two months which is far too high, it's used but nothing to the scale of what that bill is as it's made up of whatever package we currently have plus line rental and all that other stuff.

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    no, it doesn't.

any number is kept for 13 months then it's released, so there'd be a temporary number issued before the port could be done

I was referring to the contract cooling off period. This is so you can change your mind within 30 days of it conmencing without having to pay the rest f the contract :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

I was referring to the contract cooling off period. This is so you can change your mind within 30 days of it conmencing without having to pay the rest f the contract :)

the cooling off period is 14 days

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    the cooling off period is 14 days

From when you receive the service.

I stand corrected :)

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Billing/Broadband-contract-cooling-off-period/td-p/78517
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

It varies from provider to provider, but if done on phone/internet it would be minimum 14 days.

• Advertisement

Hey folks have another subsequent question if anybody is in the know, when we got the horizon boxed installed I also got a separate modem put into my room as that's where my computer is so I'd have a hard line.

Tried connecting the phones to the horizon box but it was a no go but they connect through the modem in my room, is there a way to get them to run through the horizon box so that way the phone can be left in the sitting room?

Advertisement