Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pass of the Plumes

Options
  • 14-11-2014 1:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭

Does anyone perhaps from the Laois area know what's written on this memorial to a 400-odd year old battle fought near Ballyroan? (Or is there a way of zooming in on this image?)

monument.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

teddyfennelly@hotmail.com in Laois Historical society should be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

15813839191_c017e90768_b.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Ach fair play to ye Cork boy. Appreciate that.

I'm chancing my arm here now but do you or anyone else know if there's an account somewhere of the Battle of Deputy's Pass in Wicklow around the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

What is this, a competition to mention the most battles at passes?

I see what you did there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Uaithne Ó Mórdha to give his actual name was the son of the famous Ruaidhrí Óg Ó Mórdha who was technically "king of Laois". Here's a famous image of Ruaidhrí Óg from "The Image of Irelande, with a Discoverie of Woodkarne"

1024px-The_Image_of_Irelande_-_plate11.jpg

There's a snippet of an account from an englishman's journal of 1599 in the following which I believe might cover this engagement

http://books.google.ie/books?id=cscQwIzZr70C&pg=PA215&dq=uaithne+macruaidhri&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AnxrVKm2BsvPaP2ggvgM&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=uaithne%20macruaidhri&f=false

dubhthach wrote: »
    There's a snippet of an account from an englishman's journal of 1599 in the following which I believe might cover this engagement

Is that the Plumes or Deputy's pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

dubhthach wrote: »
    Here's a famous image of Ruaidhrí Óg from "The Image of Irelande, with a Discoverie of Woodkarne"

1024px-The_Image_of_Irelande_-_plate11.jpg

Atque dolor? Mihi misero? Adeo! Crede mihi, miseros prudentia prima relinquit. Nunc alieno more vivendum est mihi.
    (Etiam lupi desidi sunt!)

Atque dolor? Mihi misero? Adeo! Crede mihi, miseros prudentia prima relinquit. Nunc alieno more vivendum est mihi.
    (Etiam lupi desidi sunt!)

Remember according to Spenser (the author Fairy Queen) the Irish turn into wolves at least once a year, as a result no doubt to average Elizabethan "woodkern" would be natural allies of Wolves.

Anyways as for bould Ruaidhrí speaking Latin, ye could hardly expect a englishman to understand a Laois man let alone one speaking Irish!

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »
    Is that the Plumes or Deputy's pass?

I couldn't tell you to be honest, I haven't read enough about the nine year war as of let, most of my interest in "Gaelic Ireland" tends to be earlier.

Cheers anyway Dubhthach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Saoirse Eire

A Chara, forgive me for not being able to converse in our native Gailge as being from a very large family in rural Eire i did well to get to my current age Thank God so just like to make a comment regarding the Pass of the plumes I happen to write a note for the unveiling of the monument,and this is the first time it will be seen by Anyone,So Shin mar a ta she Slan

CASHEL CROSS

Poetry or Prose these words may be,
    But maybe they are sheer simplicity

As we gather here in remembrance of our dead,
    Though a lot of their names will never enter our head

A little bit of waist ground is where we stand
    To honour these great people with the work of our hand

Now let them receive their sweet meadow of delight
    May this lovely day bring them a new moonlight

For now as we prepare to go on our way
    Remember the pass of the plumes on the seventeenth of May

Alas maybe in another five hundred years’ time
    Somebody like me will write a different line

It is my hope this place is not covered with moss

You will never be able to hide the shape of the cross

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Jesus. wrote: »
    Ach fair play to ye Cork boy. Appreciate that.

I'm chancing my arm here now but do you or anyone else know if there's an account somewhere of the Battle of Deputy's Pass in Wicklow around the same time?

There's a small book about it called Henry Harrington and the Battle of Wicklow.

Do you know of an account of a battle just south of Arklow in 1599? Like the above it was a battle that apparently saw practically the entire English army killed.

The Earl of Essex' Irish campaign was disastrous. Queen Elizabeth would later have him hanged for treason.

Advertisement