Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please: which version

• 14-11-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I've just bought my son a 8" windows 8.1 tablet and want to know which version of Minecraft to put on it.

I think there's only one option, the PC version, bit want to make sure.

Also want to ne sure it will function ok. Its a decent spec and screen so should be ok.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Is it proper Windows 8.1 or the RT version? There is no Minecraft at all for Windows RT (but now that Microsoft actually owns Minecraft, I'm sure it's well underway). Decent spec for a tablet and a PC are *very* different things, so if you could tell us what one it is, we'll have a better idea.

The PC version of the game is by far and away the best one, so I'm sure your son will be happy with that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

It definitely 8.1, not RT.

You've touched on the point that has me somewhat cautious about buying the PC version. I hope it performs on the tablet with the specs I have

Basic specs: Intel Atom Z3740 1.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Windows 8.1, 1280x800 display.

This is it

It's not great for Minecraft I'm afraid. Atom processors aren't bad, but they're the lower end of the Intel totem pole. 2GB of RAM will also be a problem - 4 would be better but 8 would be preferred for any kind of Windows gaming.

Bottom line - it'll run for sure, but it won't run as well as it might on a laptop for example. How much of an issue that'll be for your son is up to him . :) There will, however, be a metric fk-ton of amazing games he'll be able to play on it - such is the joy of the PC as a platform.

OK, so we looking at unplayable, or more like yeah it works but not the best? If it's usable, then I'll go ahead, otherwise I'll have to start warming him up now that Minecraft isn't going to be able for it (which will be a tough one for him! It's a Christmas present...)

Well, I've been a computer games player for over 30 years and as it's my main hobby, I spend a lot of money on it :) I have a similar spec'd HTPC for watching stuff in my bedroom at home (atom chip, Windows, 2GB of RAM) and I'll see how it runs.

My definition of "unplayable" is very different to other people's because I am prepared to spend €400 on a graphics card, so expect high performance :) I'll come back tomorrow and let you know how I got on with my HTPC though, fair play to you for investing the time and effort, I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If he has an Xbox 360 you can Minecraft on that, just in case you weren't aware :)

I forked out for an xBox one last year and he's has it on that. He really wants the full version though (even XB1 is not the full whack) and it's better to have it on the tablet, for bringing away or at his cousins, etc.

Quick follow up: I've paid up for Minecraft (painful experience!) and have it installed on the tablet. Just want to check I've not missed something. It does not seem to install anything per se, just the minecraft.exe?

Also, is he able to install it on the tablet and the home laptop? Or do you pay per device?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Per user account IIRC. That said, maps that are saved on one device aren't accessible on the other. What are the specs on the laptop? Newer ones (especially AMD-based ones, owing to better integrated graphics) are pretty good for Minecraft. Older ones though... the tablet is probably better :eek:

As for the .exe... I suspect that may be the launcher. Once run it will download and install Minecraft itself somewhere in your Program Files. The game itself isn't very large though. Maps, especially well-explored ones, can generate big files though :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ranjo wrote: »
    It does not seem to install anything per se, just the minecraft.exe?

?

That's it. On first launch it'll download whatever it needs (consider the .exe file that you have as a Minecraft Loader).

Once the loader has loaded you can configure your login and password as well as change the version number which can be useful if you often connect to different servers running different versions. or lots of people though this isn't something that they'll bother with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement