Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats it worth? - 05 auto avensis burning oil

Options
  • 14-11-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I have an 05 Avensis Luna 1.8 Auto with 100KM which has started to burn oil (mechanic said it would need an engine overhaul and advised me to change car). Other than that its in good condition. 04/15 NCT, 01/15 tax and it is driving.

What would you say it is worth and what would be the best way of selling it (scrap it, sell it to a breakers, advertise in donedeal or adverts etc.)?

Thanks for your help,

Slip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd explore the cost of getting the engine rebuilt or possible sourcing a reconditioned engine. That's what someone else buying it off you would probably look at doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭slipstream

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd explore the cost of getting the engine rebuilt or possible sourcing a reconditioned engine. That's what someone else buying it off you would probably look at doing.

thanks for your advise bazz.

how much would a rebuild or reconditioned engine replacement + installation cost?

when i talked to my mechanic, it sounded like my options would be costly and he also said there were often problems having done all that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

slipstream wrote: »
    thanks for your advise bazz.

how much would a rebuild or reconditioned engine replacement + installation cost?

when i talked to my mechanic, it sounded like my options would be costly and he also said there were often problems having done all that work.

At a guess the car is worth probably about €3500 without issues and maybe €1000 to €1200 with the current issues so you probably need to make some inquiries about the cost of either an engine rebuild or sourcing and fitting a reconditioned unit in order to see if it is worth spending money on repairing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Is it burning much oil - seems very low mileage for it to be a problem .
    Most important is keep a check on the oil level.
    I had to replace the engine (1.6 petrol) in my niece's 2003 recently as the timing chain broke . Seems to be a common problem with the 1.6 due to the oil level being allowed to run too low among other things.And I think the 1.8 are very similar to the 1.6
    This car though had 150 K mls on it and it had begun to burn some oil.
    SH engine was hard to get as they are in big demand it seems . Got one for 500 but some have paid up to 800 for an engine and changing them is a fairly big job.
    I think there is some guy in Meath advertising reconditioned Toyota engines in Done Deal . Buying secondhand is a gamble as, usually , you don't know much about the engines history .

Advertisement