Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday 14th November

Options
  • 14-11-2014 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

1.50 Cheltenham

Monetaire 10/1

Translating French form is always a tricky thing to do but I think there is a very good chance that the British Handicapper has been quite lenient in allowing this 8 year old to make his British debut off a mark of 123 for the shrewd Pipe yard and I think he could take quite a bit of beating. At a meeting where David Pipe has been the leading trainer for the past 2 years running with 4 victories both seasons, I think it looks very telling that the yard unleash newly acquired French recruit Monetaire here as owner Allan Stennett's two previous recruits to the Pipe yard from France have both sauntered to victory on their British debuts before going on to win at the Cheltenham Festival. The first of these, Salut Flo, ran out a very easy winner of a handicap chase of a mark of 118 back in March 2010 before tasting success in a Cheltenham handicap in 2012 whilst the other Ballynagour could have won by half the track on debut for the Pipe yard when scoring at Warwick off a mark of 123 last February and tasting Cheltenham Festival success this year. Judged on these two previous French recruits by Allann Stennett, I gather two things; that they should be caught on their debut for the Pipe yard and that they are very well handicapped animals.

It must be said, however, that both Ballynagour and Salut Flo both arrived to the Pipe yard with slightly different profiles to that of Monetaire having been more lightly raced and they were also younger (just turned 7 and 5 respectively) but with only 8 chasing starts under his belt I think there certainly looks more to come from this son of Anabaa and I'm sure David Pipe will certainly find some improvement in him. Looking at his French chasing form, Monetaire easily won a Amateur Riders' Conditions Chase at Autueil over an extended 17f before going on to finish 2nd in the French Grand National at the same venue over just shy of 3 miles early last year and if rediscovering that form I think a mark of 123 makes him look potentially very well in. Tomorrow's contest sees Monetaire dropped back down to the minimum drip but given the multitude of front runners in the race coupled with the stiff uphill finish at Prestbury Park I'm definitely hopeful that the distance won't be much of an issue and he should really enjoy a race run at a blistering tempo. Getting in off a lovely racing weight of 10-4, a first time tongue tie is added to Monetiare and the 332 day absence is of little concern to me given the yard is well capable of getting his horses fit after a break whilst Ballynagour's victory on his first start for Pipe also came after a fairly long break. Although I normally much rather prefer to be able to try know if a horse is well handicapped on British or Irish form, I've no problems backing this fella at 10/1 given the trainer/owner combination's record with two similar types before and given that David Pipe always targets this meeting and has been leading trainer at it for the past two years I think it's very fair to assume that this 8 year old has been laid out for this contest and hopefully he can deliver a victory on his first outing on British soil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Pipe to score hat-trick in first 3 races

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

Mick Halford's horses have been in excellent form at Dundalk lately, most recently 3 winners and 2 seconds on Wednesday, they all attracted strong support in the market too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have at least 3 winners again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

4:50 - HERE’s HERBIE (33/1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Anyone else think Ruby is the perfect booking for Champagne Present in the 15:00 at Cheltenham? He was bought for 210,000 after his point career and he really should have won on his first start last time. He looks like a hold up horse and Ruby is the man for that tactic (along with Carberry obv). I like that Blaklion too but going to take a chance on Champagne Present at 4/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Backed Tirghra tonight at Dundalk in the 7.45 at 12/1. Bit disappointing that she never won a maiden but he has bumped into some smart fillies, twice finishing runner up to subsequent gr.3 winners and beaten about four lengths by an Aga horse of Weld's that won another gr.3 who looks a machine. Her only bad run was last time out but she's dropped to a mark of 67 and is well drawn in what isn't the best of races. If she can't get competitive tonight I don't know if she ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

I'm liking Dell' Arca for the novice chase at Cheltenham today. Think he's worth a punt at 4/1 in this field.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hardstone in the 8:45 at Dundalk is the only one for me today. Very interesting race as a lot of these at the top of the market have run against each other last time out. Do not understand why Won Diamond leads the betting, other than the fact that it's a Halford runner. Hardstone been beating the door down to secure a first win and am convinced it will be going very close here. It should overturn the Gretzky with even more weight in its favour, and hopefully this time around the jockey will keep a bit in hand to produce later. Shalman and Whither Hills should both be going close if they run to form, but I think Hardstone just has enough to see them off.

11/2 best price Ladbrokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Monetaire easily the one to take from that. Anquetta was travelling incredibly before falling also

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Very unlucky rossom. Made a few mistakes and still finished 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

When do you ever see a Pricewise selection win at a bigger SP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Autumn Tide 12-1 ew 6.45. Think it can defy top weight to compete for a place

Tirghra 12-1 ew 7.45 . I like this too for same reasons as 6 posts up

Horewithnoname 11-1 ew 9.15 . Won a similar race two back of same weight. I think it can place ,tough draw though,although I'm sure it can get past most of this lot .

Foley /Halford combo . On fire at Dundalk . Would expect 3-4 winners tonight .

Gold Focus 8.45 14-1 ew
    This could be an easy victory.Good draw, nice weight, and more than capable of winning here on her first attempt at this surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Think it's fair to say that Monetaire would have hacked up barring his shocking mistake at the first and a small bit of interference at the 2nd. The way he may up the ground effortlessly over 2 miles (for a horse who probably stays 3) suggests he's very well handicapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Dundalk 7.45 little arrows 16/1 has won of 67 and now drops to 63.9.15 lord kenmare 16/1 has a good 10lb claimer on board just hope he can get the gaps for this fast finisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Backed Tirghra tonight at Dundalk in the 7.45 at 12/1. Bit disappointing that she never won a maiden but he has bumped into some smart fillies, twice finishing runner up to subsequent gr.3 winners and beaten about four lengths by an Aga horse of Weld's that won another gr.3 who looks a machine. Her only bad run was last time out but she's dropped to a mark of 67 and is well drawn in what isn't the best of races. If she can't get competitive tonight I don't know if she ever will.

Is this a non runner or wrong race ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

tomaussie wrote: »
    Is this a non runner or wrong race ?

No. Runs in 7.45 as above

Strair of Zanzibar 5-1 ew 8.15
    One to beat I think. Ran a good time over c&d two back.
    Hard to catch if he gets in front. Good draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Shalaman runs in the 8.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Strair of Zanzibar 5-1 ew 8.15
    One to beat I think. Ran a good time over c&d two back.
    Hard to catch if he gets in front. Good draw.

High net worth is intetesting off 73 with tom madden claiming 7 lbs.
    He was running off 83 this time last year.
    Had an nh outing and should be fit .
    Way overpriced on betfair 49/1 available for small money.

• Advertisement

Strait did indeed get caught before line.
    3rd . Shot to nothing ew /

Gold Focus 8.45 14-1 ew
    This could be an easy victory.Good draw, nice weight, and more than capable of winning here on her first attempt at this surface.

2nd 20-1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Hardstone in the 8:45 at Dundalk is the only one for me today. Very interesting race as a lot of these at the top of the market have run against each other last time out. Do not understand why Won Diamond leads the betting, other than the fact that it's a Halford runner. Hardstone been beating the door down to secure a first win and am convinced it will be going very close here. It should overturn the Gretzky with even more weight in its favour, and hopefully this time around the jockey will keep a bit in hand to produce later. Shalman and Whither Hills should both be going close if they run to form, but I think Hardstone just has enough to see them off.

good pick francie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not 2nd :pac:

Love it when they go exactly to plan.

Advertisement