Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what Chinese dishes do yous suggest

Options
  • 14-11-2014 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi guys,I love Chinese food,but most of the time I get the same thing,I usually get satay skewers or red tye curry really like Spicey stuff is there any other dishes which are like the mentioned above.thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Are you talking about take away Chinese or actual real Chinese? If you go to the real Chinese restaurants in Dublin city. Most of the restaurants have the different Chinese style of food eg Szechuan is quite spicy. I love the sweet and sour from the Chinese emporium supermarket on Jervis Street. Its only a €5 and you are basically eating beside a butchers and the food in a plastic container. But its so unlike the sweet and sour from a local "Chinese" take away

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

hfallada wrote: »
    Are you talking about take away Chinese or actual real Chinese? If you go to the real Chinese restaurants in Dublin city. Most of the restaurants have the different Chinese style of food eg Szechuan is quite spicy. I love the sweet and sour from the Chinese emporium supermarket on Jervis Street. Its only a €5 and you are basically eating beside a butchers and the food in a plastic container. But its so unlike the sweet and sour from a local "Chinese" take away

Sorry mate I ment take away,also I live in Cavan,mostly go to Peking Inn,think they are owned by apache pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

seamus1980 wrote: »
    I love Chinese food,but most of the time I get the same thing,I usually get satay skewers or red tye currys
    This is such an irish sentence. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Hi guys,I love Chinese food,but most of the time I get the same thing,I usually get satay skewers or red tye curry really like Spicey stuff is there any other dishes which are like the mentioned above.thanks guys

Thai red curry is made with red chillies, so you could try the Thai green curry, which has very similar ingredients but uses green chillies. That's my favourite from my local takeaway.

If you like satay, you might like other peanut dishes, and as you seem to like Thai dishes, you might like Pad Thai which is a peanut noodle dish. You should find out the ingredients in the dishes you like and pick dishes with similar ingredients.

If you feel adventurous, you could try making something at home. Amoy or Blue Dragon have a box of ingredients you need for Thai red, green and yellow curries in supermarkets at the minute. They are about €4 and you just add your meat/ veg of choice. They are very easy to follow and great for a beginner!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Fillet beef chop suey is lovely
    Also Ginger and scallions or garlic sauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kung po chicken. It is spicy enough and has cashews. In my local you get more cashews in the kung po than in the "chicken with cashew nuts". The chicken with cashew nuts is quite bland too.

I hate the way most chinese takeaways just have single names for dishes, with no description, and often the chinese staff are not great at describing them. Indian places tend to have a line under them saying the main ingredients or heat levels etc. You can get your local menu and search online for recipies, they might not be too accurate but good enough.

I wish more places took photos of the food, actual food in the containers not fancy food photography. Just even get their iphone and take a snap before the cover goes on, very little work.

One near me has photos on the wall but its all stock photos off the internet and some photos look absolutely nothing like what you get there.

I was in china and some places had sample plates behind glass, or covered in cling film. I thought it wasa great idea. I am always walking in to restaurants trying to discretely eyeball what people are getting before I sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

rubadub wrote: »
    I wish more places took photos of the food, actual food in the containers not fancy food photography. Just even get their iphone and take a snap before the cover goes on, very little work.

That seems like the next step for the likes of just-eat .ect Could be a handy bit of work for a photo-guy going around to each place and getting photos of the dishes as they go out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Karpackie

I've tried out M&L, Hilan and two of the places on upper Parnell Street this month. Giving expat Chinese food another shot.

You might get a decent dish in either of them. Great: french beans with chilli in M&L; cumin lamb in Hilan, clams with garlic and green vegetables. But nothing consistent. Rather like eating in the country itself.

I'm beginning to think 'regional' Chinese food is up there with the 'perfect execution' of French classics. Or the use of sea greens in this raw Scandinavian buzz that is in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

The key to good authentic Chinese food, where the Chinese eat. Too many dishes are adapted for western taste and eating habits.

But, Excellent reading

7PpH3d.jpg

5Xq2qi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Interesting advice, Oblomov. Alas, the OP lives in Cavan & seems to prefer Thai & Indonesian dishes from his local 'Chinese' restaurant that is owned by a pizza chain.

I think we are done here.

tHB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement