Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Allowances

Options
  • 13-11-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,
    I have unqualified service prior to 2011 so I am not classed as a new entrant and am on the old pay scale.

Does anyone know if I get my allowances? I qualified in 2009 but was working in a school and paid privately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

You can only receive allowances if you were in receipt of them prior to February 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Samhradhs wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have unqualified service prior to 2011 so I am not classed as a new entrant and am on the old pay scale.

Does anyone know if I get my allowances? I qualified in 2009 but was working in a school and paid privately.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake but...
    1. Are you, or have you ever worked for the dept. (gotten a payslip from athlone!)

2. Are you talking about the masters/hdip/degree allowance? (Or are you talking about the incremental allowance!) If you are still working privately for the school then that's down to your contract... if it says that you were to be paid in line with the dept. then you should get the same as what someone on the dept scale would get.

Not too sure if that helps.

If you do want the dept. to recognise your service then you ring them and ask for a form for your school to sign that you were a subject teacher for so many years doing so many hours a week/year. that's only relevant though if you are switching over to dept. pay and want to 'keep them up to speed'!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

Sorry to hijack - this thread has alerted my to the fact that I may not be getting paid correctly. First taught unqualified in school in 2002 for about 6 months. Didn't teach again until 2012 when I did some more unqualified hours while doing TP. Qualified in 2013 and am currently teaching part time casual hours as I was last year. Since qualifying have only been paid new qualified hourly rate - €41 P/h.
    I thought as I was paid by dept back in '02 I would get the higher rate but dept said no when i queried this as it was unqualified. However several people have told me I should be getting higher rate as I was on the payroll from '02 and this post would suggest the same..Can anyone give me a definitive answer to this or advise me on how to get one???

Thanks in advance and apologies again for hijacking post..

SlinkyL wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack - this thread has alerted my to the fact that I may not be getting paid correctly. First taught unqualified in school in 2002 for about 6 months. Didn't teach again until 2012 when I did some more unqualified hours while doing TP. Qualified in 2013 and am currently teaching part time casual hours as I was last year. Since qualifying have only been paid new qualified hourly rate - €41 P/h.
    I thought as I was paid by dept back in '02 I would get the higher rate but dept said no when i queried this as it was unqualified. However several people have told me I should be getting higher rate as I was on the payroll from '02 and this post would suggest the same..Can anyone give me a definitive answer to this or advise me on how to get one???

Thanks in advance and apologies again for hijacking post..

Can;t be definitive but I've been told that if you break your service with the dept. for 6 months (i.e. no payslip) then you are kicked into the new entrants pension scheme. So I could possibly deduce that the other stuff goes with it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

My understanding is that any unqualified hours do not count. Your point of entry into system only counts once fully qualified. Here's an example of one of the circulars which outlines this
    http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0008_2013.pdf

• Advertisement

Thanks - it looks like I'm on new scale from that circular but a teacher in my school was in a similar situation and she said she was advised by ASTI that she should be on the old scale and was being paid thus...
    I will call ASTI about it again and post back, I did call during the summer but never followed up properly.
    Thanks again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Armelodie wrote: »
    Can;t be definitive but I've been told that if you break your service with the dept. for 6 months (i.e. no payslip) then you are kicked into the new entrants pension scheme. So I could possibly deduce that the other stuff goes with it too!

I had a break in my service and I am on the new entrants pensions scheme but HR have suggested that if I have a statement of service from before 2011, I should be on the old pay scale. Very confusing but might help slinky.

Although backdating your pay scale to 2002 may be more difficult because of the time that has passed and also because you were unqualified at the time. Best bet is to get in touch with the department. Are you in a dept school or ETB?

It's a department school. The teacher who told me that she had managed to get on the old scale despite qualifying in 2013, same as me, was doing the 4 year Home Ec degree in Sligo and did some paid unqualified teaching during her time as a student. She was told that because she had a payroll no prior to the 2011 changes she was entitled to old scale irrespective of whether it was qualified or unqualified. The dept told me it didn't count as it was unqualified but she reckoned I should fight for it as the dept tried to do the same with her but someone who worked in the office of her previous school insisted she was entitled to old scale and she managed to get it. I will take it up with ASTI this week and try and get an answer.

thanks for taking time to reply

was there some anomoly about the old VEC system... if you just had your degree (with no HDip) then you were deemed to be fully qualified by the dept.

just to update this - spoke to ASTI, as my first qualified payment was after 2011, I'm on new rate... definitive according to ASTI, thx for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Armelodie wrote: »
    was there some anomoly about the old VEC system... if you just had your degree (with no HDip) then you were deemed to be fully qualified by the dept.

It wasn't an anomaly, the rules were just that. A degree plus the Ceard Teastas Gaeilge.

The vocational schools were initially supposed to address specific local needs on terms of skills etc. They didn't offer the LC until the 60's and there was lots of opposition from the church run schools.

Very interesting history, I'm rusty on the facts so correct me if I'm off.

Advertisement