Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Time Car Insurance Young Driver...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

It may sound harsh but the only way to get the cheapest quote is to take out the phonebook and ring several insurance companies and see who's the cheapest ringing fbd, allianz, liberty, aviva would be a good start. There no one on here that car give insurance quotes. It will be alot cheaper to get named on a parents policy than to get your own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mmck96

@bpmull cheers!! thinking insurance under parents name will be alittle cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't think it mkes much difference nowadays. Don't they asses the premiums o the basis of the biggest risk nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

mmck96 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm 17 years old after getting my full licence have a 02 1.4 VW Golf and looking to see if any of you know where to get the cheapest insurance either on my own or as named driver...

Much appreciated

as already mentioned, our only option is to ring them all, try chill insurance apparently they get quotes from 14 different insurance company's and get back to you, Kenco insurance give me a fantastic quote but AXA matched it so i just went with them...

Your very young, its going to be expensive, but it will get cheaper, im only driving 2 years, im 22 and im driving a 2001 1.9 318ci and my insurance is 940 for the year, thats not bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@bpmull cheers!! thinking insurance under parents name will be alittle cheaper.
    That would be considered fronting, a type of fraud through not disclosing yourself as the main driver. It's something which insurers are wise to it for decades.
    Keeps things straight and get your own policy. It will get cheaper over time as you build your own no-claims history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Getting your own policy would be the ideal job, but honestly at your age, I doubt one would have the funding to throw away at insurance. You may need a few years named to get some experience(won't get any NCB, generally speaking), and/or time to gather the cost of having insurance in your own name. A golf, albeit a 1.4, is still going to be pretty difficult to insure, expect a fairly high premium.

Anyone the same age get cheap insurance on a similiar car??

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭S31

Insurance companies can no longer discriminate re age, sex etc. So as the previous posters said just shop around. I know some insurers will discount the premiuim if you opt for a higher excess etc, 123.ie and chill insurance etc, some insurera have better reputations than others so it really is a matter of personal choice. I'd steer clear of brokers if I were you, I don't see the point in paying them commission for something as standard as private car insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Anyone the same age get cheap insurance on a similiar car??

Nope.

Golfs are blacklisted by insurance companies especially when driven by lads your age.

It's going to be expensive wherever you go really. Shop around and hammer out the best deal you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Cb9

Try Boxymo they install a box in your car that monitors your location & driving, I'm 18 and got a quote for €1666 which was by far the cheapest I could find no matter where I looked and it's fully comp & third party fire and theft as standard.

The only problem is you are limited to the amount of km your policy comes with though you can earn more during the year or buy more if you run out.

Oh and I set my voluntary excess to the highest which was €750 to get that price so if you set a low voluntary excess be prepared to pay a couple more hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Nope.

Golfs are blacklisted by insurance companies especially when driven by lads your age.

No there not? I got insured on my own policy at 19 on a provisional for €1100 TPFT with €190 excess.... Renewal with a full licence at 20 is just over €800.

On a '00 1.4 MkIV Golf.

OP Try FirstIreland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

S31 wrote: »
    Insurance companies can no longer discriminate re age, sex etc. So as the previous posters said just shop around. I know some insurers will discount the premiuim if you opt for a higher excess etc, 123.ie and chill insurance etc, some insurera have better reputations than others so it really is a matter of personal choice. I'd steer clear of brokers if I were you, I don't see the point in paying them commission for something as standard as private car insurance

They charge a lot more for young inexperienced drivers. They are dead right too.

p.s. Direct writers charge plenty also. They are not charitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

If you're a student axa do a pretty good deal called student plus or something, you have to call specifically about that one they don't tend to offer it to you. I went with them when I started out at 18 with a 1.4 polo and I think it was around 1300 which was the cheapest by around a grand at the time! That was also with a learner license! With chill now as axa got dearer when I left college and they're ok but I do prefer axa

Done the 6 months insurance and 13 lessons for €499 with Aviva, have now passed test and have full license, would the the 6 months make any change to insurance price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Axa are a ****ing rip off.

Full license no claims (ever) bonus 8 years. 2010 2ltr Mondeo

Wanted 1200+ TP

My last insurance during the summer was €712 FULLY COMP (medical reasons I can no longer drive since July)

Also they wouldn't quote me online for a 1986 Capri ffs.

I then changed my age and car and driving experience to match what the OP told us. I live in North Tipperary but I have no idea if you are urban or rural so I chose in between a large town in the Dublin/Kildare region. Poverty spec golf.

Obviously you will get a different quote depending on address and occupation but I entered various occupations to give people an idea what axa are charging. The mostly male occupied jobs (especially priest) all came back with higher quotes. Hidden sexism? (now I'm not a religious man but I would trust a priest to be a much safer driver than my ex who was a teacher and she crashed 5 times on a provisional and most of her friends did too numerous times. One actually damaged a house so bad it had to be part rebuilt)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Priest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Chris___ wrote: »
    Axa are a ****ing rip off.

Full license no claims (ever) bonus 8 years. 2010 2ltr Mondeo

Wanted 1200+ TP

My last insurance during the summer was €712 FULLY COMP (medical reasons I can no longer drive since July)

Also they wouldn't quote me online for a 1986 Capri ffs.

I then changed my age and car and driving experience to match what the OP told us. I live in North Tipperary but I have no idea if you are urban or rural so I chose in between a large town in the Dublin/Kildare region. Poverty spec golf.

Obviously you will get a different quote depending on address and occupation but I entered various occupations to give people an idea what axa are charging. The mostly male occupied jobs (especially priest) all came back with higher quotes. Hidden sexism? (now I'm not a religious man but I would trust a priest to be a much safer driver than my ex who was a teacher and she crashed 5 times on a provisional and most of her friends did too numerous times. One actually damaged a house so bad it had to be part rebuilt)

He is 17 with no NCB, thats why the insurance is so high.

:confused:

A full licence makes damn all difference until you have at least one year bonus.

Most insurers wont quote online for cars more than 15 years old, the Capri is almost 30 years old, thats why they wont quote you online.

Both parents are insured with Aviva and have the multicar policy, can they open a different insurance with a different compamy so i can go down as a named driver in the golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Both parents are insured with Aviva and have the multicar policy, can they open a different insurance with a different compamy so i can go down as a named driver in the golf?

As already mentioned earlier in this thread, insurance companies have wised up to this which is known as fronting. They will just load whoever is the highest risk on the policy no matter who the policy holder is.

cheapest quote I've got at the minute is €2307 from Britton insurance (4thelads.ie )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That's still fairly dear, is that in your own name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

This is peanuts compared to 15 years ago My first insurance at 18 on a 94 Clio 1.2 was 3400 quid. No Way around it I'm afraid. Take the hit now, it'll be worth it in a few years.

Advertisement