Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Second Round offers question..

Options
  • 13-11-2014 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Do many people get their first or second choices during the second round?

I heard you get offered if there is room left, despite your points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do many people get their first or second choices during the second round?

I heard you get offered if there is room left, despite your points.

What is this supposed to mean?

Read your CAO handbook from cover to cover. All of the information you will ever need is explained in it. Personally I don't think students should be allowed go to college if they can't prove they've read this set of instructions. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

If you have enough points and there is space in the course then yes .
    Unless you have been offered your first choice on the first round , then you couldn't accept your second choice on the second round even if it required more points because of the order of preference .

It's not rocket science tbh .http://www.cao.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

What is this supposed to mean?

Read your CAO handbook from cover to cover. All of the information you will ever need is explained in it. Personally I don't think students should be allowed go to college if they can't prove they've read this set of instructions. :rolleyes:
    I mean, if everyone who got the points got accepted into X course, and there is space left... And say you got 10 points less, yet the course is your first choice... They will offer it to you because there is space.

Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I mean, if everyone who got the points got accepted into X course, and there is space left... And say you got 10 points less, yet the course is your first choice... They will offer it to you because there is space.

Is that true?

Points are not set for courses. If there are 50 places on a course, and all the people that apply meet the subject/college entry requirements then the top fifty on the list will be offered places. If you are in the top 50 you will be offered a place, if you are in position no 51 you will not. People are offered places in order of their points.

If one of those 50 turns it down in the first round, and it was your first choice but you were offered your second choice, then you will be offered the spare place in Round 2 as position no 51 on the list for that course, whether you accepted your second choice course in the first round or not.

If there are 50 places for a course and the first 50 people on the list for that course scored 600 points and you scored the next highest with at place no. 51 with 250 then the points published in the first round for that course will be 600, if you are offered a place in the second round as I outlined above then the points published for the second round will be 250 as that was the next highest on the list. In reality points scored are generally not that skewed but the principal still applies, only that in reality the next person on the list is usually only 5-10 points below the person above them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Points are not set for courses. If there are 50 places on a course, and all the people that apply meet the subject/college entry requirements then the top fifty on the list will be offered places. If you are in the top 50 you will be offered a place, if you are in position no 51 you will not. People are offered places in order of their points.

If one of those 50 turns it down in the first round, and it was your first choice but you were offered your second choice, then you will be offered the spare place in Round 2 as position no 51 on the list for that course, whether you accepted your second choice course in the first round or not.

If there are 50 places for a course and the first 50 people on the list for that course scored 600 points and you scored the next highest with at place no. 51 with 250 then the points published in the first round for that course will be 600, if you are offered a place in the second round as I outlined above then the points published for the second round will be 250 as that was the next highest on the list. In reality points scored are generally not that skewed but the principal still applies, only that in reality the next person on the list is usually only 5-10 points below the person above them.

Makes sense, thanks. Teacher explained it today and didn't really do a great job :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement