Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working without Contract

Options
  • 13-11-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My contract expired 3 weeks ago, and I was told at the time, that a new contract was coming, with a salary increase and being made permanent. Talk about a new contract and permanency has been going on since the start of September as I did training for a new position at that point. I'm still waiting for the contract at this stage, and it's getting to the stage where I'm unsure if they're even bothered giving me one or just seeing how much work they can get out of me before I leave/replaced.

I was pretty sure my manager likes my work and me working there, but the lack of movement on the contract has me worried, and kind of annoyed. I know the work is there, and the company are hiring other people (not my team but others).

Do I give an ultimatum on a date for a contract before I leave, or just continue to wait? I do ask my manager from time to time if there's an update on the situation just to make sure they know I still don't have one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

How long have you been there? You get full rights after a year, contract or not. Equally, they can fire you any time in the first year, unless it is on one of the 9 discrimination grounds there is not much you can do.

If you like the work and are getting paid, then don't stress too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Diziet wrote: »
    How long have you been there? You get full rights after a year, contract or not. Equally, they can fire you any time in the first year, unless it is on one of the 9 discrimination grounds there is not much you can do.

If you like the work and are getting paid, then don't stress too much.

Not quite. This is a grey area if the OP had a fixed term contract which ended three weeks ago. It all depends on how that contract is worded, but in the absence of a new fixed term contract the company are leaving themselves open to problems should OP continue in the present situation and then be let go sometime in the future.

OP just say to them that in the absence of a new fixed term contract, you now assume you are employed for a term of indefinite duration (full time employee).

Advertisement