Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymagarvey village vs Rathsallagh house

Options
  • 13-11-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for the opinions of people who have either been married in either of these 2 venues, or for anyone who has attended weddings in either/both of these venues.

We are planning to get married in 2016 and we're currently in the process of deciding on the venue.
    We pretty much have it down to between these 2, and I'm hoping I can get other people's thoughts.

In terms of the cost Rathsallagh is coming out slightly better, and are certainly more willing to negotiate on the cost and package.

We find them both lovely places, however we think Ballymagarvey is just pipping Rathsallagh here.

But then when it comes to things that we don't know of....................

The service provided: From the small amount of contact we've had with both to date, we feel that we would get a better level of service with Rathsallagh.
    When we met people from Rathsallagh they couldn't do enough for us and were open to negotiation etc.
    However when we met people from Ballymagarvey we didn't seem to be as important to them. I got a little bit of a feeling of - sure it doesn't matter if you don't book with us, someone else will - from them.

From other peoples experience would this change when we book officially and pay a deposit? Is the level of service provided by Ballymagarvey fully up to scratch????

In terms of the food: We'd be confident that the food in Rathsallagh will be excellent since every review we've read on it is very positive. They also cook to order!!
    But is there anyone who has been to a wedding in both who could give us an idea as to if there was much of a difference between them in this regard.

Looking forward to hearing any input!

Thanks very much,

N

Comments

hi there,

was lucky to stumble on this as my best friend had his wedding in ballymagarvey in august and it was brilliant. I'd recommend it myself really, especially the reception room. His wife was very particular (as most women are about a wedding) and she was very happy with the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I was at a wedding in Ballymagarvey a few years ago and I wasn't overly impressed with it to be honest.

We stayed the night and the room wasn't very clean, the floors were in need of good scrub and the same was true of the room where the drinks reception was held.

Also, I wasn't keen on the long tables that they have in the reception, they made conversation with others around the table quite difficult.

In it's favour though the food was very good. I just know that for me personally the small things like cleanliness have a big bearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Myself and o/h went to view both.

While Ballymacgarvey is beautiful in terms of the grounds and the ball room itself, the fact that the bar is in a separate room altogether was a major bug bear for us. Plus, what we could get in Rathsallagh was significantly easier on the wallet than a comparable package in Ballymacgarvey.

Ive not been to either for a wedding but have stayed in Rathsallagh and we thought it was beautiful in terms of food, service etc.

We have booked Rathsallagh for July next year anyway just in case it wasnt obvious from the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,334 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was in Ballymagarvey last year as well. I loved the setting, and the grounds. The room for the ceremony was gorgeous. I also really loved the house for the drinks reception, I thought that was cool.

I am afraid I honestly cant remember the meal. And I was less keen on the atmosphere for the band later on, but that is probably personal preference and down to the night itself. I just don't like large rooms for live music. And not generally a fan of dancing at weddings anyway, so take that with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Hi. I've photographed a number of weddings at Ballymagarvey. Lovely multiple locations for both inside and outside photography. Great staff.
    Can not offer an opinion about Rathsallagh House.

Good luck, take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

A work colleauge went to Ballymagarvey for a family wedding. I was dying to hear how they got on.

They said the place itself was amazing however the food was a real dissapointment, both on the wedding day itself and the BBQ the next day.
    Its a shame as it seems to tick all the right boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rathsallagh can be limited for accomodation as far as I remember.
    That could be a stumbling block alone for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Timbertop

As far as I know Rathsallagh has 35 rooms. 29 in house and 6 in two gate lodges. Ballymagarvey Village has 9 in the house and 15 in the Court Yard Cottages - see the web sites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Timbertop

Rathsallagh has 35 rooms. 29 in house and 6 in two gate lodges. Ballymagarvey Village has 9 in the house and 15 in the Court Yard Cottages - see the web sites ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

nheav wrote: »
    Hi all,

In terms of the cost Rathsallagh is coming out slightly better, and are certainly more willing to negotiate on the cost and package.

N

Out of interest, would they budge much on cost per head or was it on extras that they were willing to negotiate?

Only started looking ourselves but have heard good reports about Rathsallagh.

We're looking at about 150 people or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Lots of b&b's near rathsallagh, accomodation not a problem.

Beauty stakes, nothing between them.

some of the nicest staff Ive ever worked with in any venue in the country in rathsallagh.

Food on any given day will be of same standard.

Party in rathsallagh will be way better than BMV as the bar isnt in same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

For me, Ballymagarvey has it on looks but Rathsallagh wins on personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

Thanks for all the responses so far!
    We're still very torn between the 2!

Any more input from people would be greatly appreciated!!

Out of interest, would they budge much on cost per head or was it on extras that they were willing to negotiate?

Only started looking ourselves but have heard good reports about Rathsallagh.

We're looking at about 150 people or so.

PM Sent!!
    Don't want to be putting down their prices etc. publicly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

sweetie wrote: »
    For me, Ballymagarvey has it on looks but Rathsallagh wins on personality.

That pretty much sums up where we are at the moment!
    Trying to decide which is most important to us now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

nheav wrote:
    That pretty much sums up where we are at the moment! Trying to decide which is most important to us now!!!

I think the price difference, service and separate bar to reception room swing the contest towards Rathsallagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Been to both and Rathsallagh wins it for me; both were similar up until the band and DJ, the bar being in the room makes a hell of a difference then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would rule out any venue which doesn't have the bar in the function room. Any wedding I've been at has died a death when the band comes on if the bar is separate.

Advertisement