Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Job

Options
  • 13-11-2014 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Few coaches in the past have told me that a postman is the ideal job for a runner.Sometimes you see runners go full time and it doesn't work out cause they have too much time on their hands.the big benefit of running full time is the rest that one can get.
    On another note a cool job that Saucony have advertised if any runners out there interested?

http://www.sports-insight.co.uk/recruitment/due-to-re-structuring-in-the-region

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Might be something in that postman idea! Isnt a prominent masters runner from Dunleer a postman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Primary school teacher.
    Works for either running or being involved in the GAA. Or both maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Might be something in that postman idea! Isnt a prominent masters runner from Dunleer a postman?

David Carrie is a postman alright. In my area Mick Traynor is also a postman and is out on a bike every day
    Peterx wrote: »
    Primary school teacher.

Sean Hehir is a teacher afaik in Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Micheal Shannon in Clare
    Padraig Marrey in Mayo (more cycling & AR)

Both posties

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Peterx wrote: »
    Primary school teacher.

yep, few primary teachers in our club and the amount of time they have for training in enviable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

any job where you are moving would be highly beneficial. I'm in IT and it's an absolute disaster towards the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

I think I read somewhere that Steve Way is or was a Postman too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

yep, few primary teachers in our club and the amount of time they have for training in enviable.

Yeh half my group in Melbourne were primary teachers. When they were on holidays they sometimes met up earlier to get their session done, and I'd end up running on my own at the originally appointed time. Wasn't pleased. Thankfully it didn't happen too often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

On another note a cool job that Saucony have advertised if any runners out there interested?

http://www.sports-insight.co.uk/recruitment/due-to-re-structuring-in-the-region

Do you think they'd be cool about paying me in shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

pointer28 wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that Steve Way is or was a Postman too.

He used to work in a bank doing IT. He then got made redundant. He took about 2 years off to concentrate on running. I think you may be right that he did that for a bit but he then went back to working part time in IT.

Having no kids helps a lot for his training also. tbh most jobs you have enough time. Kids are what make you have not enough time. If Paul Pollack could run 100+ miles a week as a junior Dr then there is a way for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

any job where you are moving would be highly beneficial. I'm in IT and it's an absolute disaster towards the running.

Only thing about IT, you can use ur lunch hour what ever time you take it at or come in early to build time up for lunch, its what i do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

So is a job where you sit down all day (like IT) less beneficial to a runner? If so, can anyone explain...I would have thought that sitting around all day would allow you to have more energy to get out training every night...and also allow you to recover well the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cona wrote: »
    So is a job where you sit down all day (like IT) less beneficial to a runner? If so, can anyone explain...I would have thought that sitting around all day would allow you to have more energy to get out training every night...and also allow you to recover well the next day

Sitting for hours will shorten your hamstrings, which isn't good, neither for running nor for your body in general.

With regards to energy, the body doesn't work like a battery that runs out of energy after a certain amount has been used. Basically, the more active you are the more energy you will have, due to the body's adaptation.

Just sit on a couch all day and notice how you will have absolutely no energy - the same works the other way as well, be active all day (obviously, don't wear yourself out) and you energy levels will rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

rom wrote: »
    He used to work in a bank doing IT. He then got made redundant. He took about 2 years off to concentrate on running. I think you may be right that he did that for a bit but he then went back to working part time in IT.

Steve did work as a postie for a couple of years before going back to what was basically his old job - always a full time job though not part time. He has recently been made redundant again, may possibly have taken up a less demanding job or a break - not entirely sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 frankxxxx

Danny mcdaid...

I don't know the exact science but I reckon an active job is way
    better ime
    I even noticed a big improvement in breathing when I was mobile at work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mark England studying medicine can't be easy, but he seems to enjoy the challenge and wouldn't be happy doing nothing between training!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

I work in IT, i spend most of my days sitting down and spend 3 hours approx every week day commuting to Dublin on the train. this clearly is not an ideal job or worklife for running. I do my running at approx 9pm at night...thats after getting home at 7 and putting the kids to be bed etc..and it does affect my ability to do the best i can. I tend to be tired or cranky by that time, but i do get the miles in. i don't get enough mileage in though, for marathon running. my mileage near the end tends only to be in the 40 mile range per week. , i am done 2 marathons this year one 3:26, and one 3:33.
    So i can tell you one thing..working in it and commuting to work every day is not an ideal job for running.
    If i was working at home and had no or even a shorter commute i think i could run in the 3:15 range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

If Paul Pollack could run 100+ miles a week as a junior Dr then there is a way for us all.[/QUOTE]

He can run 100+ miles per week but can he get sufficient rest between runs?

If Paul Pollack could run 100+ miles a week as a junior Dr then there is a way for us all.

He can run 100+ miles per week but can he get sufficient rest between runs?[/quote]

Throw in young kids and a 100 miles is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ploughon

Good question!

I often thought a Bin Man would be a great way to train and work.

My job involves a lot of sitting down too.
    I try to get as much time on my feet as possible (use any excuse to get out of the chair and planning the office space so I have to) and yesterday I ordered a standing laptop station.

Some offices have work stations with adjustable height legs so you can alternate between sitting and standing at your desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Throw in young kids and a 100 miles is impossible.
    It's difficult, but certainly not impossible. Look at Mo Farah. He has a scattering of young kids and still manages 120+ miles per week. Of course, he doesn't get to see them for months on end, but that comes down to personal choices. We choose to spend quality time with our family, instead of running, as it's a higher priority, but at the end of the day, it's a choice thing. Same thing with choosing where we work, where we live, and what we do. All personal choices. Any of us could run 100 miles per week. We just choose not to as we have other priorities.

It's difficult, but certainly not impossible. Look at Mo Farah. He has a scattering of young kids and still manages 120+ miles per week. Of course, he doesn't get to see them for months on end, but that comes down to personal choices. We choose to spend quality time with our family, instead of running, as it's a higher priority, but at the end of the day, it's a choice thing. Same thing with choosing where we work, where we live, and what we do. All personal choices. Any of us could run 100 miles per week. We just choose not to as we have other priorities.

True, but Mo technically doesn't have a job. Also I was talking about young kids really. But there is always a way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

Surely running these huge mileage weeks IS his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

True, but Mo technically doesn't have a job. Also I was talking about young kids really. But there is always a way
    His twins are around 2 years old, if I remember correctly, but the point I was trying to make was about choices. You could start knocking out 100 mpw now, but your wife/partner would think you were an awful excuse for a human being, so the cost would likely be too great and so you choose not to (as most reasonable people would). Don't worry, the children will grow up eventually (as mine have), and you'll find that you have more time on your hands to knock out those 100 mile weeks, without the parenting angst!

One of my pet peeves (not related to your post average_runner), is comments like 'if I had more time, I could run xx minutes quicker'. Well then go and do it. If you believe you can, then make the time and go and do it. Don't use your life choices and circumstances as an excuse ('I could have been a contender' speech). Many of Ireland's foremost distance runners have full-time jobs and demanding family circumstances and still manage to knock out the kind of weekly miles that put us all to shame. That's what separates them, from us. They make the commitments that we're not willing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

Sounds like the best job for a runner is, well, to be a paid runner.

Different sport, but I've just finished reading "Domestique" by Charly Wegelius. He gives a great description of people completely obsessed with their chosen sport above all else - calling cyclists a bunch of selfish a**holes, and saying how he would never wash the dishes as it would mean 10 min standing up.

I agree with Krusty regarding how we are all free to make choices - after all, you can't manage time, but you can manage activities. I think we do have to be careful however not to say that one set of choices is "better" than another - what the elites gain in faster times may be lost in another area of our lives. The important thing, as I see it, is to actively make choices - i.e. decide to watch that hour of TV because you think it's really well made and a good use of your time, rather than just collapsing on the sofa, night after night, half zoned out, remote in hand, flicking through all 300 channels because you haven't decided what's really important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

This may have been an urban legend that went around in the 70s or 80s...

Wasn't there an Irish athlete who worked for CIE operating the level crossing gates. He would go for a run and target a specific pace to get him back in time to open the gate. Basically if he slowed down, or dropped the pace, the gate didn't get opened... and disaster loomed. Again, my have been a myth, but I do like the story!!

Seems like a good job for training though!

Advertisement