Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship

Options
  • 13-11-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Do i have to accept a social welfare recommendation for an internship ?

Im looking for work ( hate being unemployed ) but i mind my 2 kids 2 days a week

By the time i pay for child minder for 2 days id be way less off than i am now

Least with minimum wage it might cover child care costs and might end up same as i am now

Do i have to take this offer up or can i decline it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're testing to see if you're really available for work - which you have to be if you're claiming the dole.

So, go and see welfare. Tell them that you really want to take the internship, and ask how they can fund your childcare. See what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

They're testing to see if you're really available for work - which you have to be if you're claiming the dole.

So, go and see welfare. Tell them that you really want to take the internship, and ask how they can fund your childcare. See what they say.

I havnt been in receipt of social welfare this year , i was last year , only signed back on tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

you can't get an internship if you haven't been receiving welfare for 3 months.

I havnt been in receipt of social welfare this year , i was last year , only signed back on tuesday

All the more reason to believe that they're work testing you.

So show them that you're ready, willing and able.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

RossieMan wrote:
    you can't get an internship if you haven't been receiving welfare for 3 months.

Unless he is taking an internship outside of the Jobbridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

My claim was stopped in jan because means test and ex earned 65k a year so thats fair

However we broke up in july and ive furnished welfare on her leaving and utility bills in her name etc

So i applied again and they said my rate is 247 as im claiming for my 2 young kids too and it is back dated to july

So can i expect € 4k from them for this ?

Moved from Work and Jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mar90

My claim was stopped in jan because means test and ex earned 65k a year so thats fair

However we broke up in july and ive furnished welfare on her leaving and utility bills in her name etc

So i applied again and they said my rate is 247 as im claiming for my 2 young kids too and it is back dated to july

So can i expect € 4k from them for this

Went trough this exact situation recently. Unfortunately was told straight out it will not be back dated regardless of the situation even tho you should be. When it came through it wasn't backdated. Hopen this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I don't understand when you say you mind your kids 2 days a week. Should that not be 7 days a week? If you don't have the main care of them then you're possibly being overpaid.

You are very unlikely to get any back pay, how come you didn't claim until now?

Advertisement