Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep making mistakes

Options
  • 13-11-2014 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Hi, I could really do with some help here. I am in a job that I have enjoyed for the last three years, however, in July I was given a role that was completely out of my ability. I feel like I wasn't given a choice in accepting the position and have been thrown in the deep end. I am responsible for the company's banking and accounts and I keep making mistakes. I am so nervous about telling my line manager because it's not the first time. I have already been brought up on disciplinary because they felt I wasn't interested in the role. I told them I wasn't, that I wasn't trained enough, and they offered me more training. I accepted and that was completed. However, there are little mistakes here and there that I keep making. There's only one person in the office who knows what I do and I feel sick of the thought of going to her again.

I need to either leave this job or move position. But I'm afraid that if I ask to step down, if they have no other positions for me, that they'll let me go. And I do want to leave, but not in that way. I don't know what to do. I'm going to end up ruining the business and I hate the responsibility that is hanging over my head.

Can one step down from a junior position? not really, I don't think. I would love some advice as I'm really stuck here and on the verge of a breakdown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 welfareguy

Hello loubian,

Sorry to hear that things are not working out for you. I know it can be tough in these situations.

Just wonder about your work situation, could I ask if any trial/probationary period was agreed before you took up the new position?

Also, does your “old job” still exist, has it been filled or has it been integrated into the position you hold now?

If you leave, are you going to look for a welfare payment i.e. jobseekers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Hi thanks for your reply. No probationary position was given. I was given two weeks training, but as I'm only in 3 days a week and the girl was finishing off things to leave, it wasn't adequate.

My old job does still exist. After I posted this, I asked my line manager for a meeting. Before I could even explain how I felt, she said they're looking to hire someone full time to do my job and I can go back to my old one. I'm glad as it takes so much pressure off my shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 welfareguy

Hi loubain,

Glad to hear things have worked out for you in the end.

Best of luck in the future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great to hear.

Advertisement