Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my rights? Repair under warranty

Options
  • 13-11-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advise from you all, I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 nearly two years old (January) I bought the phone with meteor. During the summer I got the phone unlocked and changed to tesco. (It wasn't a simple unlock, the unlock code for the phone didn't work so meteor sent the phone way.)

Fast forward to now, the sound isn't working through the earphones, the ringer volume drops on an incoming call, and the battery life is tragic. I love my phone and hate the thought of been stuck into a contract to get a decent phone. Under European law am I entitled to get this repaired and if so who with?

thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Would be interested in this also.

Samsung Galaxy S4 - got from Vodafone about 18 months ago and about a month ago two horizontal lines (length wise) have appeared on the screen and it detracts from watching videos.

Anyone experience of getting something fixed (still in a contract with Vodafone).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Your repairs should be arranged by the company you purchased the device from, eg Meteor and Vodafone.

If the devices are within two years old and have no physical damage then they will send your phone to be repaired with their repair company, usually SBE. You may need proof of purchase, so you may need to get it from the store you purchased it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Battery degradation will not be covered by any warranty though (same with water damage but that goes without saying).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

If you send it back three times and it can't be fixed is the phone company or the phone manufacturer obliged to still help?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

yipeeeee wrote: »
    If you send it back three times and it can't be fixed is the phone company or the phone manufacturer obliged to still help?
    Generally Fónfix, the repair company organise the replacement and send it back to the shop the same way they would your own phone if they fixed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

There's some confusion about the 2 year warranty. I rang carphone warehouse, where I bought the phone and the guy told the warranty is being misrepresented. The long and the short of it is his opinion is my phone won't be covered.

Thanks for the info anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

now online wrote: »
    There's some confusion about the 2 year warranty. I rang carphone warehouse, where I bought the phone and the guy told the warranty is being misrepresented. The long and the short of it is his opinion is my phone won't be covered.

Thanks for the info anyway.

There should be no confusion re the two year warrenty. Have a look at this thread and particular what irishpancake has to say: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90913328

See what he says here too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86012667

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Warranty is irrelevant. Statutory rights apply and certainly a high end phone under 2 years old would be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apple say on their website that EU law can require repairs to 7 years for electronic. Consumer law in Ireland regarding repair and replacement is based very much on how much you paid for the good. Eg you cant expect a €20 phone to be perfect in 2 years. But can expect a €400 to be perfect in 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

hfallada wrote: »
    Apple say on their website that EU law can require repairs to 7 years for electronic. Consumer law in Ireland regarding repair and replacement is based very much on how much you paid for the good. Eg you cant expect a €20 phone to be perfect in 2 years. But can expect a €400 to be perfect in 2 years

thats a load of bollocks.

• Advertisement

Hi again,

Well I went to carphone warehouse this evening and spoke to a very helpful guy. All he did was check the imei number on the phone to verify the date of purchase, no issue whatsoever. If I had everything backed up he would have sent it for repair there and then.

Came home and backed up everything and they'll send my phone for repair tomorrow. Needless to say I'm thrilled. I can expect to have my phone back in 7-10 working days.

Thanks for all your help!

Just to get back to this, I sent my phone away for repair last Friday. I got it back in perfect working order. For anyone that has a phone still under 2 years old thats giving trouble it is repairable under warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

now online wrote: »
    Just to get back to this, I sent my phone away for repair last Friday. I got it back in perfect working order. For anyone that has a phone still under 2 years old thats giving trouble it is repairable under warranty.

Perfec . I have a HTC thats abouta hear and a half old and its acting up. Doesn't charge fully even after a battery replacement. Sometimes it won't charge at all and has the flashing red ligh . Just bought a moto g so can afford to be without the HTC. Hopefully I get it repaired so I can sell it on:-)

Advertisement