Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No claims bonus maxes out at 5 years?

Options
  • 12-11-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

I was on to chill earlier about my renewal.I noticed there was a few years missing from my no claims bonus. He told me you stop getting reduction in price after 5 years ie saving maxes out then. Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Some companies do 6 or 7, but I wouldn't get worked up about it. I would prefer 50% off an €800 premium rather than 70% off a €2,000 premium. Less of a hit if you lose it too because of an accident

It is all about the bottom line

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was on to chill earlier about my renewal.I noticed there was a few years missing from my no claims bonus. He told me you stop getting reduction in price after 5 years ie saving maxes out then. Is this true?

Yes, 5 years NCB is the max generally. Some companies offer more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Don't Liberty offer more

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Focus on the final premium price not the NCB discount. Say Company A offer 5 years or 50% NCB but their premium before the NCB discount is applied, is lower than Company B who offers 60% or 70% NCB but their premium before applying their NCB discount, is twice that of company A. Company A's premium is cheaper despite the lower NCB discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

As usual with most things in motor insurance there is no standard maximum ncb across the board for all providers. From shopping around it would seem 5 years is the max ncb with most but definitely not the same with all providers.

I've actually found it a bit of a nusiance when renewing this year and moving from FBD to 123.ie. FBD only acknowledge up to 5 years and that was the confirmation they provided me with. However, 123.ie were giving recognition for 6 as I recall, which I had and more. When I went into FBD girl that dealt with me seemed a bit perplexed by this and was only to draft up what was a rough copy of my ncb that was provided to them when I was moving from another company to FBD the year before.

As others mention do shop around. Don't look at it in terms of the years ncb they are allowing you for but the bottom line in what they're charging. Play one off against the next to get the best quote possible as they can usually "do something for you". A white lie here and there may help but don't drag the heart out of it altogether and say you got a best quote of 250 if the best was 1100...that wont work either...

• Advertisement
Advertisement