Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let go from position after 5 months

Options
  • 12-11-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was working for a small family run business for the last 5 months. I was told when I was hired that I would have a salary review after 3 months (I have this in an email). After 4 months I asked about my review and was told that it would be based on how a new employee settled into the company.

I kept pushing for my review and last week they gave it to me. They told me they were letting me go as it wasn't working out with immediate effect, none of the reasons they gave me for this decision could be substantiated.

Can anyone clarify if I would have any redress with them as I know I wasn't with them longer than 12 months or should I just move on from this and hope that I get something bigger and better.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

AbbeyD wrote: »
    Hi,

I was working for a small family run business for the last 5 months. I was told when I was hired that I would have a salary review after 3 months (I have this in an email). After 4 months I asked about my review and was told that it would be based on how a new employee settled into the company.

I kept pushing for my review and last week they gave it to me. They told me they were letting me go as it wasn't working out with immediate effect, none of the reasons they gave me for this decision could be substantiated.

Can anyone clarify if I would have any redress with them as I know I wasn't with them longer than 12 months or should I just move on from this and hope that I get something bigger and better.

Just move on, there is nothing you an do.
    Anything less than 12 months leaves you open to dismissal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If you're there longer than 13 weeks, they have to give you a week's notice, or pay you a week's notice. Just make sure you get that. But as mentioned above, no come back really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

AbbeyD wrote: »
    I was working for a small family run business for the last 5 months. I was told when I was hired that I would have a salary review after 3 months (I have this in an email).

<snip>

Can anyone clarify if I would have any redress with them

Are you enquiring whether you should get redress because they didn't give you a salary review after 3 months despite what your contract says? Sounds to me like any review would have been a paycut, so if I were you I wouldn't say anything.

Advertisement