Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Call saying I was in accident yesterday

Options
  • 12-11-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a call from my insurance company saying they got a solicitors letter saying I was involved in an accident yesterday in a part of Galway that I wasn't even in. I only took the car out once yesterday and it was in the morning and I certainly wasn't involved in an accident and I certainly wasn't where the accident happened. I told this to the woman on the phone and I asked what exactly is pin pointing me to the accident is it my name or my car and she said the only details she was given is my policy number and that it was involved in an accident. Could it be possible that someone somewhere got the policy number wrong? Either someone at the scene took it up wrong or it was an administration error? All I know is I wasn't involved in an accident in my life and don't know why I am being involved!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

anna080 wrote: »
    Just got a call from my insurance company saying they got a solicitors letter saying I was involved in an accident yesterday in a part of Galway that I wasn't even in. I only took the car out once yesterday and it was in the morning and I certainly wasn't involved in an accident and I certainly wasn't where the accident happened. I told this to the woman on the phone and I asked what exactly is pin pointing me to the accident is it my name or my car and she said the only details she was given is my policy number and that it was involved in an accident. Could it be possible that someone somewhere got the policy number wrong? Either someone at the scene took it up wrong or it was an administration error? All I know is I wasn't involved in an accident in my life and don't know why I am being involved!

Sounds like someone took down a policy number incorrectly.
    Amazingly my parents got a call from the gardai one evening to say they had hit a parked car's wing mirror and broken it. At the time there were 4 adults inthe car and they would have noticed if this had happened. The gardai seemingly had CCTV which ended up being incorrect. Long story short it wasn't them.
    Ring them again and say you want further details including evidence of said accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Ask your insurers to find out the details of the car that was involved in the incident: Make, Model, registration. If they don't match, then it's probably a mistake in noting down the policy number. If they do match, it might be someone trying to pull a fast one. Do you have any proof that you weren't at the location the incident is supposed to have taken place?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Insurers received a solicitors letter within 24 hours of an alleged accident?
    I'm not too clued in on these kind of things but that seems suspiciously fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That sounds like someone else gave your policy number. I've heard of it happening when someone had an accident and only 3rd party insurance, and they just gave a number of another car they knew or had seen, but I don't know if it's possible for someone to work out a plausible number from among the Insurance company's possible policy numbers?

In any case it would be useful if you can prove that you weren't there. And could be awkward if you can't.

Hope it works out for you, and quickly. That sort of thing is always horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The plot thickens. I sold my old car three weeks ago and the person I sold it to found my old insurance disc in the glove box (it must have been in with old nct certs, can't believe I was so stupid) it was out of date and he had it up as his and used my policy number when he got into an accident! I have since rang the guards and informed them, they say I am not registered as the owner anymore and they know I wasn't at the scene. What the hell! Not only had he no tax or insurance or nct but he was using my old disc and said it was his!! What will possibly happen now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh well that is all the better for you, they know he was in the wrong. It could have been a lot worse if the Guards had decided there was any reason to doubt you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

volchitsa wrote: »
    That sounds like someone else gave your policy number. I've heard of it happening when someone had an accident and only 3rd party insurance, and they just gave a number of another car they knew or had seen, but I don't know if it's possible for someone to work out a plausible number from among the Insurance company's possible policy numbers?
    You can read anyone car policy number off a windscreen of any park car in the street. It is very easy to do.

For the Allege accident:
    My first action is to involve the Gardai to investigate a possible insurance fraud.
    ask was the allege accident was reported.

Note any trips taken during the time frame for your own records and write it down and create a file and keep own records of the incidence.
    Get information about which car, details make etc that they claim is yours by either or from both Gardai and claims party. Locations time etc and plot that to your daily schedule and any other activities that includes the vehicle. There is lots of CCTV footage outside petrol stations, supermarkets, cities and towns, etc to record your vehicle passing to build up your side of the story.

Next to get a solicitor, in case there is any more injuries related claims or criminal charges for fleeing the scene of an accident and failing to report it etc to defend while you investigate of the alleged accident goes on.

Keep name of any Garda involved in handling the investigation also contact numbers and address and to pass on details to the insurance company and to the solicitor and keep it in your record file.

Wonder what will happen to him now though? Could be possibly be done for impersonating another driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Attempting fraud? Also Broke laws regarding insurance, tax etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Just admit it op

:trollface:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Something funny here.

Insurers to get letter AND phone policyholder within 24 hrs is suspicious. I wonder if someone is simply having you on? Are you sure it was your insurer who phoned you? Did they tell you that they were insurer and give the usual spiel that calls were recorded? Did you get a claim no?

you need to do a bit more digging here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Dash cam saves you're ass...

ravima wrote: »
    Something funny here.

Insurers to get letter AND phone policyholder within 24 hrs is suspicious. I wonder if someone is simply having you on? Are you sure it was your insurer who phoned you? Did they tell you that they were insurer and give the usual spiel that calls were recorded? Did you get a claim no?

you need to do a bit more digging here.

Ya it was fbd who rang me and they gave me a reference number. Phoned the guards too and they have a report of the accident on file and they know I wasn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Wonder what will happen to him now though? Could be possibly be done for impersonating another driver?

Realistically? SFA. Thousands other scumbags out there with no insurance. Many of them already banned. So he might get a ban if its followed up on. Shur he might decide "what the hell" and bag a few more convictions in the mean time. Might as well like, worst case he'll receive the punishment for one and the rest will be forgotten about.

Really, what we should all do is call round to him, donate the contents of our wallets and give him a hug, god help us and he a grown man that don't know wrong from right, tis all our fault.

Realistically? SFA. Thousands other scumbags out there with no insurance. Many of them already banned. So he might get a ban if its followed up on. Shur he might decide "what the hell" and bag a few more convictions in the mean time. Might as well like, worst case he'll receive the punishment for one and the rest will be forgotten about.

I still have his phone number and home address, I wrote them down from the log book just in case. I passed them onto the guards so it's out of my hands now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Ya it was fbd who rang me and they gave me a reference number. Phoned the guards too and they have a report of the accident on file and they know I wasn't there.

Ah, that's a bit clearer. I doubt there is a solicitor's letter, I'd say the 3rd party rang your insurer on the number they took off the disc. Standard after that for your insurer to ring the policyholder for their version of events

Ah, that's a bit clearer. I doubt there is a solicitor's letter, I'd say the 3rd party rang your insurer on the number they took off the disc. Standard after that for your insurer to ring the policyholder for their version of events

They said they got a solicitors letter though, that's the part that shocked me! Apparently after the guy who has my old car saw the person he crashed into taking his details from the windscreen he got into the car and drove off. So no guard was at the scene until after he had left. The people he crashed into were able to give a description of him though, a coloured male, which I am not! He only managed to get the cars reg and insurance company and that's how it was traced back to me.

The person just text me and said the guards took the car off him and he can't get it back; I said I don't care and don't contact me again. He must still have my number. Hope I don't hear from him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The person just text me and said the guards took the car off him and he can't get it back; I said I don't care and don't contact me again. He must still have my number. Hope I don't hear from him again.

Odd for him to contact you. Keep the text and inform the Gardai, just incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

They said they got a solicitors letter though, that's the part that shocked me! Apparently after the guy who has my old car saw the person he crashed into taking his details from the windscreen he got into the car and drove off. So no guard was at the scene until after he had left. The people he crashed into were able to give a description of him though, a coloured male, which I am not! He only managed to get the cars reg and insurance company and that's how it was traced back to me.

was he green?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

corktina wrote: »
    was he green?

Blue.

Fear gorm is docha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

was he green?

I was waiting for someone to say something like this. Was really hoping nobody would though. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

They have obviously traced him so. You have told him to go away so hopefully he will. If he doesn't I would report it. MIBI will end up with the bill. You did the right thing taking down the details off the log book I always do that too.

Insurance crowd have sent me an e mail absolving me of any involvement which I'm happy about. The woman from the claims department rang me too and said that she rang the guy and he admitted to everything and then he asked could he now be put on my policy!! The bloody cheek. Thanks for all the responses. Case closed! (For me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Insurance crowd have sent me an e mail absolving me of any involvement which I'm happy about. The woman from the claims department rang me too and said that she rang the guy and he admitted to everything and then he asked could he now be put on my policy!! The bloody cheek. Thanks for all the responses. Case closed! (For me anyway)

Great news. Hopefully the Gardai will throw the book at him and he will get a holiday stint in an Irish jail:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Bio Mech wrote: »
    I was waiting for someone to say something like this. Was really hoping nobody would though. Oh well.

why would you hope this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    What. The. Absolute. Fcuk!
    Did he pay you by check for the car? I wouldn't be surprised if that bounced.
    Whoever he is, that guy is an absolute scumbag with a brassneck the size of a large town.
    If you got out of it with the money and nothing more than a bad shock, you are lucky.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    What. The. Absolute. Fcuk!
    Did he pay you by check for the car? I : wouldn't be surprised if that bounced.
    Whoever he is, that guy is an absolute scumbag with a brassneck the size of a large town.
    If you got out of it with the money and nothing more than a bad shock, you are lucky.

He paid in cash and it has since been put in the bank so it was okay thank god! I know the absolute cheek! Any minute bit of sympathy I had for the guy was completely eradicated when she told me that! Some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

why would you hope this?

Because PC nonsense/inferred "racist" undertones over a simple description of the other party has no place in the thread? Especially as in this case it's a pretty easy way for the OP to prove they weren't involved.

Stop looking to be offended and you won't be.

• Advertisement

That's shockin. Did he think that he got a free policy in the sale because of the insurance document or something? Glad you got sorted anyway

Advertisement