Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan LEAF powered Super Scooter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Wonder why he changed the batteries after 12k (miles?)?

What sort of range would he get on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

homer911 wrote: »
    Wonder why he changed the batteries after 12k (miles?)?

What sort of range would he get on that?

30Ah NiMh cells died (Max life c.5 years). LEAF cells are 60Ah, so range about 120Klms @ 80 KPH!!

Does anyone know the person who converted it ?

Would be a good buy if it checks out and the cells are indeed from the Leaf, but where were the cells purchased from and were they new, 2nd hand etc. If 2nd hand what condition are they in ?

If he knows what he's doing and didn't take short cuts then it should be a good decent bike.

But if things go wrong it could be an expensive pile of scrap. No warranty on something like this ? who will maintain it ? repair it if it goes belly up ?

I did, the cells were brand new in OEM packaging, sourced in France. Tested and some charged in TCD electronics lab. Loaded with appropriate firmware for cells, charger and motor controller. Vectrix USA have gone chapter 11, again. Will be or has already been bought by an existing Vectrix owner who understands what is needed and what has been done. All for less than the usual cost of the 60AHh LiPo upgrade + a free bike!!

I think the main problem with the NiMh cells, if I remember correctly was the lack of BMS ?

• Advertisement

NiMh cells suffer from a number of serious issues including charging/discharging and ambient temperatures outside their functional comfort zone. All of which lead to them soon losing capacity, longevity and a penchent for going 100% OS! Poor technology, wrong application... yesterday's solution.

pedronomix wrote: »
    NiMh cells suffer from a number of serious issues including charging/discharging and ambient temperatures outside their functional comfort zone. All of which lead to them soon losing capacity, longevity and a penchent for going 100% OS! Poor technology, wrong application... yesterday's solution.

Not necessarily so, NiMh cells lasted 10 years in the old Rav 4 and are still going in the original Prius MK I, considering their tiny size (small Kwh, AH) they were capable of handling very high charge and discharge currents, if even for a short time.

In the Vectrix I think most failures were poor management of the cells and a not so good charger.

But lithium is better of course, depending on the cells. :D

It is not comparing apple with apples to example a CI powered hybrid!1 At even modest loads the engine kicked in, pure EVs just soon stopped, most of them permanently!.

pedronomix wrote: »
    It is not comparing apple with apples to example a CI powered hybrid!1 At even modest loads the engine kicked in, pure EVs just soon stopped, most of them permanently!.

There was only the GM EV II and the rav 4 ev most rav 4 batteries survived a long time and longer than the leaf batteries in some circumstances

production of the rav 4 and EV 1 was stopped only because GM sold the rights of the NiMh battery to Chevron Texaco and forbid any car maker using a battery big enough for a battery electric car.

The batteries weren't perfect but neither are today's lithium batteries. Who knows what would have happened with continued development.

But either way a Vectrix on Lithium should be much better ! :D

Did I not read earlier that it was sold ?

What happened ?

Any pics of the conversion ?

• Advertisement

Did I not read earlier that it was sold ?

What happened ?

Any pics of the conversion ?

Lots of info and links here!!
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/vectrix-superscooter-with-nissan-leaf-power/8099294

Guy said he wanted it (unseen), I said I would hold it, he came, rode it and agreed to buy it and less than 12 hours later texts to say he is very interested. Slan leat!

I am a little surprised at the lack of interest in the Vectrix which has more range and a similar top speed to the new BMW costing €17K along with better weather protection. Interest in such EV solutions in Ireland is obviously very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I have a 400cc scooter and a Nissan Leaf. I'd certainly be interested and have been keeping an eye on electric motorcycles/scooters over the years. Right now though I don't have the expertise to know whether that upgraded Vectrix is potentially a dud or not. Looks like a good deal though for someone with more electrical/battery expertise than me.

Advertisement