Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So you have already bought an EV or Hybrid...

Options
  • 12-11-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭

Your NEXT vehicle will be a ...

Your next vehicle will be.. 18 votes

Petrol
    0% 0 votes
    Diesel
    0% 0 votes
    Hybrid
    5% 1 vote
    PHEV
    22% 4 votes
    EV
    11% 2 votes
    Other
    61% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Driving a Leaf for nearly a year now, next vehicle will definitely be an EV, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'm thinking of a PHEV next as my main car, i don't have a proper driveway so a full EV is out of the question. The Mitsubishi Outlander looks interesting. I might just wait and see what the Mk4 Prius had to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm 5 months driving a mk 2 prius and based on my experience so far I'll be sticking with a prius. I'll be interested to see what Toyota have in store for the mk 4.

The Mk IV prius has been delayed until the end of 2015, so probably 2016 in Ireland.

I don't think it will sell, the Golf GTE and Passate GTE are available soon and with much larger batteries than the hybrid only prius model.

The plug in prius that's available today I wouldn't even buy because it's too over priced and the battery is far too small. And the new plug in prius won't be available until 2016.

Unfortunately for Toyota they invested so much in Hydrogen that they have neglected hybrids and plug ins and especially fully battery electric that they are now well behind the race for fully electric cars and proper plug in's.

While their FCV due in 2015 is no doubt a decent attempt, it's still way too expensive. It will be cheaper than a Tesla Model S but the Model S is a very very fast car one one of it's huge attractions is it's 0-60 time of about 4 seconds compared to about 10-10.5 for the FCV, so it's as boring as your average 2.0 L TDI Passat or Avensis.

If the Soul EV is available in Ireland then I'll be getting that. If it isn't then it will be the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

EV definitely.. things will only get better on this front with increased public infrastructure and bigger capacity batteries. The future is electric for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    EV definitely.. things will only get better on this front with increased public infrastructure and bigger capacity batteries. The future is electric for me!!

I would like to think you are right, but with cheap oil and public apathy I fear for the future.Friends of mine just bought another ICE car, I think the thought of an EV frightens them and they content themselves by saving the planet when they buy organic chicken and fair trade tea? "Some people never see the light until the day they die" Neil Diamond, wonder if he has an EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I've had my mark 1 Leaf since April 2011. My wife and I really love our car and would be hopeful we can get another EV. My only issue would be that we have 3 kids and the next car has to be bigger.

There isn't a whole lot of choice out there yet for a bigger pure EV family car. An Outlander PHEV is therefore also a possibility. I won't be changing for at least another year, so I've time yet to see what will hit the market.

I've had my mark 1 Leaf since April 2011. My wife and I really love our car and would be hopeful we can get another EV. My only issue would be that we have 3 kids and the next car has to be bigger.

There isn't a whole lot of choice out there yet for a bigger pure EV family car. An Outlander PHEV is therefore also a possibility. I won't be changing for at least another year, so I've time yet to see what will hit the market.

TBH as I wouldn't pay 50 odd K for an Outlander plug in,

The basic one removes a lot of equipment, it's ridiculously expensive.

You's be better off with a Galaxy Diesel at that rate or the Prius+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I'm hoping Tesla bring out an affordable car come 2017 when I'm due to change my EV.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I'm hoping Tesla bring out an affordable car come 2017 when I'm due to change my EV.

Oh they are, it will cost about the same as a highly equipped 3 Series or A4. My guess is it will cost about 45-50K

See the same car in the U.S will most likely cost about 30-33K Euro's, we're screwed with tax, even though electrics don't get the full vrt applied, they're no longer exempt.

Leaf II is coming in about 2017, my guess mid to late 2017 I also guess it will have about 40 Kwh battery max. I can't see it having more but it would be a big step up. I also think it will have more automation such as automatic cruise that will actually work from 0 mph. In Japan it will likely take automation a step further with the ability to park the car without the driver present, maybe even the ability to drive itself in town and city.

I highly doubt Leaf II will be offered at the same price, my guess is prices will start at 30K with the larger battery and probably a few K cheaper with the same battery for those who really don't need more range.

I do hope Nissan Ireland have a much better attitude and allow people to buy a new battery if they so choose for the current Leaf, it would be a shame to see perfectly good cars go to the scrap yard because Nissan (Ireland) refuse to allow anyone to buy a new battery !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Dexter1979 wrote: »

As I am sure you know, the next Zoe comes with a new Motor, and this EV seems to be the best value for money on the market? Renault just need to get their finger out, sell it in the Rep, and get that ad back on the telly. They should also admit that they and the power companies can't fix the problem of getting electricity into the car from a lot of charge points.
    All that said it's been an enjoyable car to drive for over 18 months, and I might well give it back in a year and a half and get another one. The Dealership seems to do almost nothing for their 4%?

Advertisement