Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiting Work How long before i can claim Benefits

Options
  • 12-11-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering if any of you know what the normal wait time on claiming.

Im a single mum and currently working part time and getting FIS

Ive had to hand in my notice, for a few diffrent reasons, but it wasnt a decision taken lightly.
    Some of the reasons is because job is moving and i cant afford to travel so far and still be on part time. But ive no other options.

Anyway, im due to finish work in a week and im not sure what happens next. Ive heard i have to wait 6 weeks before i can claim job seekers benifits.

But because im a mum i dont think its possible to wait that long. Will i still be intitled to FIS or can i claim straight away.

any info or advise you can give me i would really appreciate it.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It is important to go the SW office on your very first unemployed day. There is the scenario that you could be disqualified from Jobseekers for up to 9 weeks for leaving your job voluntarily but what you mention about the job relocating and you being unable to cover the travel costs may well be accepted as good cause for leaving. In any case you need to make your claim immediately you stop working. You will not be entitled to FIS after you finish working. Info here on making a Jobseekers claim http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/signing_on.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Are you not getting Lone Parent Payment? If your not and you would qaulify then apply for Lone Parent immediately and see your CWO for SWA while your waiting.
    if you are on a reduced rate of Lone Parent because you are working then just inform your local office and they will put you back on the full rate.
    Your FIS will end.
    You cant get Jobseekers and OPFP, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your help guys, i wasnt aware it was 9 weeks or that i have to either get job seekers or OPF

From what i can gather i will get €188 and €29.50 for my child.
    This is a big drop but i dont know what else i can do.

Im currently working 20 hours and getting OPF of 144 and FIS for 81. But because my child is 9 i will loose this anyway i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

It is unlikely you will get JB while on OFP unless you are not entitled to the full rate OFP. Either way the max payment would be a total of €217.80 between both.
    Are you available for full time work? This is a condition of JB.

Advertisement