Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do?

Options
  • 11-11-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

If I'm beeing honest I'm kind of lost right know...
    I just moved to Ireland 2 months ago for a job offer of a worlwide known company.
    So far so good, job is ok, people are nice but the real problem is my manager.
    I really think she just can't stand me, she's beeing really unfair to me at multiple occasions. And so today I received a written warning for coming to late, please note that I'm always at work at least 30 minutes earlier, I'm working between 9 & 11 hours a day and that precised day I came in 2 minutes!!! late...and NOBODY starts at 8 o'cock..they all come in between 8 & 8.30. Anyway I don't know what to do, I feel like she's just constantly looking for a mistake of mine so that she could get rid of me, and I'm under this fuxxxing pressure all the time as soon as I see her! It's driving me nuts :(
    So I'm not worried of finding another job, I do speak 5 languages fluently. But I just gave up my entire life! to come here to work for this superb company...what should I do?? Should I stay and risk a mental break down in a year or so but get a nice touch on my resume? Or should I just look for another, yet perhaps less prestigious opportunity?
    I'm thankful for every advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I think you answered your own question a little bit. You shouldn't stay in a job if it is starting to effect your private life or if you think you will have a nervous breakdown. If you have a sense of fear or foreboding towards this woman then I would advise strongly to quit and look for another job albeit less prestigious. Then again I don't know how often you have to interact with this lady in question. I'm speaking from my own experience where a few years ago I was working in a job and my female supervisor took an irrational dislike to me. There was no apparent reason but she made my life a living hell.

People will always tell you, you need to give every job a chance and at least 6 months but sometimes you cannot ignore what your gut tells you. And you can only control the controllables. Obviously you are very talented and have multi lingual skills that would easily get you a job in an other multi national but what you cannot control is someone elses abuse of power. Certainly from my perspective by enduring and suffering in silence it ate into my confidence and I began questioning everything. Now I have compatmentalised the whole experience and almost never re visit it but I learned a valuable lesson.

Life is too short to be in a position you hate. The only caveat I will add to the above advice is maybe request a sit down with the supervisor, explain your position and clarify what she expects from you. If that doesn't work out.... Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

If you are anyway at the stage where you feel that you cannot take any more, and are anyway considering leaving, then I would take the issue to her supervisor directly. I know that a lot of people are sometime reluctant to do so, but it can certainly be beneficial if you play it well.

Advertisement